Unfortunately, it is all too common to lose your home phone. You circle the house and you still can't find the thing. Of course you can ask someone to call your phone, but if you are alone you have to find another way. And if you have an Amazon Echo ($ 70 with Amazon) a favorite AI friend, the Alexa Assistant, enters there.
There are actually three ways you can use the Echo to find your lost device in your home. Alexa can help you locate your lost phone with just one command. Make sure you set that before you lose it again .
Oh, and if you think you have lost your phone outside your home, you can findor .
Enable the Find My Phone Alexa skill
There is finally an Alexa skill that helps you find your lost phone – you can even add more than one phone number.
1. In the Alexa app, go to Skills & Games .
2. Search for Find My Phone .
3. Tap Enable to use .
4. Link your Amazon account and tap Allow to grant the skill access to your account.
5. Say, "Alexa, find my phone." The first time you use the skill, Alexa asks for your phone number.
6. You receive a four-digit SMS code, which you must read: "Alexa, [four digit code]." Then your telephone rings.
7. You can add another number by saying, "Alexa, ask Find My Phone to add another number." Lost-stolen-android-phone-3218 -android-phone-3218.jpg “/>
Between the cushions of the couch is always the lost phone. Angela Lang / CNET
Let Alexa search, call and play music on your phone
To have Alexa do this, you need an IFTTT account (if this, then that). Here's how to set it up.
1. Log in or sign up, then click on the search bar at the top and type "Alexa".
2. There is a list of Alexa choices and you want to click on everything that applies. Some examples are Tell Alexa to find your phone Hey Alexa, call my device and Alexa, play music on my phone .
3. For each option you select, click Enable .
4. You will then be asked to log in to your Amazon Alexa account and enter your telephone number. Follow the instructions on the screen.
5. After you have completed the instructions, you must add another applet to find the phone.
If your phone gets lost in the house, you say, "Alexa, activate find phone." (If your phone vibrates, listen carefully to the vibrations.)
Play a song on your Android phone
Alexa can play a song on your Android phone, but you need to make sure your volume is turned up. You can use IFTTT to do that and you just have to follow the instructions above.
Search for Android device and browse the applets until you find Text your lost Android phone to increase the ringtone volume 100% . Click on Switch on and then click on Save .
Unfortunately, if your phone is connected to Bluetooth speakers or headphones, this audio plays through those instead of its own speakers.
See moreand .
Original post updated with new information.