A standing desk is considered by many to besitting behind a desk for a long time. It can increase your productivity, energy and possibly even your lifespan. But switching to a standing desk
Although there areif you are willing to make an effort, for those who prefer not to pick up a hacksaw and hammer, there is no shortage of qualitative commercial standing office conversions that are for sale.
Many of these have sit-stand options, with different texture and construction options, from beveled wood to aluminum. Some have enough space for a keyboard and mouse pad, others are much smaller with just enough room for the essentials. Ultimately, however, you want a workstation that will lead to a healthier, happier you.
If you are looking for the best standing desk converter, the following are the choices.
If you took StandStand and made it a more permanent solution, you would finish with Readydesk, a wooden lift for the workspace that comes with two height-adjustable shelves.
Readydesk is wide enough for two 27-inch (68.58-centimeter) monitors, adapts to most people between 1.5 and 1.8 meters in length and even has built-in cable management.
You can also purchase an extra shelf or a laptop stand up if you want extra workspace or need tilting to raise your laptop a few centimeters.
- The Readydesk is easy to assemble (without tools) and highly adjustable.
- With $ 169.99 (about £ 110 in the UK, AU $ 230 in Australia), Readydesk is still one of the more affordable options.
- Readydesk is a semi-permanent standing desk conversion, which means that you have probably won, your desk will not switch back and forth for a short time between sitting and standing or even daily.
- Adjusting the height of your keyboard and mouse or monitors means removing an entire board, making it slightly trickier and time-consuming than other adjus table solutions.
Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the most attractive desk conversion kits available today, with excellent quality and stability for an overall smooth experience for its users and no wiggling. It is a two-level system that adjusts your monitors and keyboard and mouse together in one quick move.
Varidesk Pro Plus is pre-assembled and ready for use. Place it on your existing desk, place your monitor (s) or laptop on the top shelf, keyboard and mouse on the bottom shelf and lift the desk to one of the preset height settings.
Varidesk Pro Plus is available in three different models: 30, 38 and 48. The 30 is intended for a single monitor setting, while the 38 supports a maximum of two monitors. The 48 is intended for people up to 185 cm tall and offers two monitors and accessories on the top shelf and a keyboard, mouse and tablet on the bottom shelf.
- The advantages are that it is easier to adjust than other standing conversions, with the entire workspace (the upper and lower layers) moving simultaneously. The 30 and 38 have 11 different height adjustments and the 48 has nine height settings for lowering or lifting your workstation.
- The Varidesk Pro Plus offers very little working area at standing or sitting heights.
- Varidesk Pro Plus is very sturdy and, depending on the model, between 35 and 45 pounds (15.9 to 20.4 kilograms).
- From $ 325 (£ 215, AU $ 445) and up to $ 500 (£ 330, AU $ 690), Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the more expensive standing desk conversions out there.
The Ergotron WorkFit-T and the Varidesk Pro Plus are direct competitors. The WorkFit-T has a similar design with similar functions and variations. The big difference between the WorkFit-T and Varidesk Pro Plus is that the WorkFit-T moves vertically, while the Varidesk shifts out (to users) when it is raised. If space is tight, the minimalist WorkFit-T might fit better.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T adjusts vertically with the push of two buttons and has 15 inch (38.1 centimeters) vertical adjustment.
- It is supplied pre-assembled and ready for use from the box.
- In contrast to the Varidesk Pro Plus, the height adjustment is completely vertical without lateral movement.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T can hold up to 35 pounds (15.9 kilograms) and offers a decent amount of work space at standing or sitting height. The updated model, WorkFit-TL, can carry up to 40 pounds (18.1 kilograms) and adds a few centimeters in all dimensions, offering slightly more workspace than the T model.
- The WorkFit-T sells for $ 398.99 (£ 260, AU $ 545) and the WorkFit-TL can be purchased from ErgoDirect for $ 445.99 (£ 295, AU $ 610) it is even more expensive than the comparable Varidesk Pro Plus.
WorkEZ is the center between Varidesk Pro Plus and StandStand. It is a small and lightweight conversion that can be easily installed or removed, but it is also highly adjustable and has a keyboard drawer.
WorkEZ has three parts: the laptop or monitor stand, a separate keyboard drawer, and a removable mouse pad. The laptop and monitor stand can be adjusted to almost any angle and up to 18 inches (45.7 centimeters) above the desk height. The laptop stand, keyboard sheet and mouse pad are all independently adjustable, making it one of the most customizable conversions available.
- For $ 99.99 (£ 65, AU $ 135) the WorkEZ Standing Desk is sufficiently priced between the StandStand and Varidesk Pro Plus.
- It is easy to add or remove from a traditional desk surface, making it ideal for both sitting and standing.
- With individual adjustments for the laptop or monitor, keyboard and trackpad angle and height, it is easily the most adaptable, with many adjustable conversions offered.
- The disadvantage is that the WorkEZ is not the most stable conversion option for standing up.
- Like the StandStand, there is no extra workspace at standing height
- WorkEZ only fits on one monitor or laptop and can handle a maximum of 5.9 kilograms. If you have an extra monitor or a heavy-duty monitor that exceeds that weight limit, you need something like LIFT.