This story is part of with tips on the best ways to manage the holiday season.
If you get cold and think of bumper-to-bumper traffic and long lines in shops and restaurants, you can use Google Maps on your Android and iPhone to help ($ 699 at Amazon) avoid congestion. this .
The American Automobile Association, or AAA, predicts that more than 49.3 million Americans will jump in their cars to travel this milestone 50 km or more, most since 2005. Traffic congestion is expected three times in some cities , planning your trip in Google Maps for a few minutes can easily save you hours in traffic later.
Google Maps can of course give you turn-by-turn directions to your location and even stop youen route so that you have the most efficient route from point A to point B to point C. can tell you . And it can help you navigate every part of your commute. But Maps can also take on other travel tasks, such as alerting your hosts if you are late and finding lost travel companions. Here are seven great ways Google Maps can make sure you are on the road as little as possible – and out of line.
Avoid Holiday – and Black Friday – Traffic
If your goal during the Thanksgiving / Black Friday weekend avoids traffic and people, you're lucky: Google used its large database brain to analyze 2018 searches and maps travel patterns in 25 cities to advise on the best times during those four days to hit the roads and avoid the queues.
In addition to instructions on when you are on the road and on the road, Google maps out when bakeries, supermarkets, liquor stores, cinemas and shopping malls are the busiest if you want to shorten the time you spend with strangers. .
Follow your travel plan in Google Maps
Of course, Google Maps can map your journeys during the four-day weekend, but it can also quickly show you your weekend flight, hotel, car rental and restaurant reservations, eliminating the need to search through your email for check-in times and confirmation numbers.
To see your upcoming reservations:
1. In Google Maps, tap the control menu three – up in the upper left corner and then tap Your places.
2. Tap the Reservations tab.
Here you can see a list of upcoming reservations that you have made for Maps from emails in Gmail.
3. Tap an item to see more about the reservation, including the date and location.
4. You can also search for "my reservations" in the Google Maps search box to see a list of what you have booked.
Share your ETA from Maps
Are you stuck in traffic and do you have to tell your hosts that you are late? Here's what to do:
1. Once you've started your journey and Google helps you navigate, tap the caret icon (the inverted V) in the bottom right corner of the screen.
2. Tap Share the progress of the journey and then select who you want to inform. Maps keep your hosts informed of your current location and arrival time.
If you prefer not to take your hands off the wheel to send your ETA, you can ask Google Maps to do it for you on your Android or iPhone:
1. Say in Maps : "Hey Google".
2. After you hear the thing that indicates that Google Assistant is listening, you say, "Send my ETA."
3. Google Assistant asks who you want to send your message to.
4. Confirm your recipient and Google will send an SMS with the message that you are on the way with your expected arrival time.
Find charging points for EV during your trip
If you bring your electric vehicle for Thanksgiving dinner, Google Maps can help you find the EV charging points on your route, along with estimated waiting times for a charging port.
1. In Maps, tap the caret icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
2. Tap Search along route and enter "EV charging stations".
3. Maps show nearby charging stations and your port waiting time.
4. Tap a charging station on the map to add maps as a stopover on your journey.
(You can also use this trick to search for other places on your route if, for example, your passengers want to have lunch at Denny's & # 39; s for the big dinner.)
Don't cook? Reserve a table directly in Maps
Planning and preparing a Thanksgiving dinner can be a daunting task. If you prefer to spend time with family and friends instead of sharp knives and hot stoves, Google Maps can help you to reserve a lunch or dinner.
1. In Maps, tap the Explore button at the bottom of the screen.
2. Tap the button Restaurants at the top of the map to see a list of places to eat, sorted by kitchen or distance.
3. Tap a restaurant that looks good, and in the window that appears, reserve a table or join a waiting list if it gives you that option ( not all).
Use maps offline
Go to a remote location where you may not have a mobile network connection? Google Maps can still give you directions when you are offline.
1. Before you leave, look in Maps for the location where you want directions.
2. In the bottom location window, tap the location name or address .
3. In Android, tap Download and then tap Download in the next window; in iOS, tap the menu with three dots in the upper left corner, tap Download offline map and then tap Download . Maps downloads a map to your phone from the selected area.
Now, when you use Google Maps for directions in the area for which you have downloaded a map, Maps switches to the offline map to guide you when you lose your mobile connection. Because you are offline, Maps cannot of course offer real-time traffic information.