There are plenty of activities you can do with friends Pokémon Sword and Shield for Nintendo Switch. We show you how to add friends, initiate trades, battle each other and more!
Find friends in Pokémon Sword and Shield
Pokémon Sword and Shield̵
Most importantly, there is a feed to the right with information about what other people are up to online. It also gives you the opportunity to join them. People you’ve added to your Nintendo Switch friends list will appear here with a purple smiley next to their character’s name.
You can add a friend to Nintendo Switch in one of the following ways:
- Send a friend request with someone’s friend code.
- Accept a friend request that someone has sent you.
You can also search for friends locally via Bluetooth on your Nintendo Switch console.
RELATED: What is included with a Nintendo Switch Online subscription?
Once you’ve added a friend on Nintendo Switch, both of you must have a Nintendo Online subscription to play online games.
Where to find your friend code
After following the Nintendo Switch installation process, you will automatically be assigned a 12-digit friend code. Friend codes start with “SW” and you will see yours on your main profile page or at the bottom right of the “Add Friend” page.
To go to your profile page, use your left Joy-Con to navigate to your avatar at the top left of the home screen, then press the A button on the right Joy-Con.
Then select ‘Add friend’. At the bottom right you will see “Your Friend Code:” followed by “SW” and 12 digits.
Here you can also manage all friend requests you have received, search for local users, use your friend code to send a friend invitation, or view requests you have previously sent.
RELATED: Adding friends on Nintendo Switch
Manage friend requests
You can manage your friends list in the following ways:
- Accept a friend request: Any friend requests you receive will appear in the “Friend requests received” menu, where you can accept or decline them.
- Send a friend request: If you have received the friend’s code from someone, you can select “Search with friend code” from the “Add friend” menu and enter the code. A friend request will then be sent to that person. Any requests you’ve sent can be managed in the Friend Requests Sent menu under “Search with Friend Code”.
- To add friends locally: This option allows you to exchange friend requests with people who are in the same room. You don’t even need an internet connection – it searches for local consoles via Bluetooth. However, to add friends locally, you must be connected to a Wi-Fi network. If not, the request is saved to the console and automatically sent when the console reconnects to the Internet.
Friends in ‘Pokémon Sword and Shield’
Once you’ve added friends to your Nintendo Switch profile, you can interact with them and invite them to play Pokémon Sword and Shield via Y-Comm. To open it, just press the Y button on your right Joy-Con in-game controller.
There are several activities you can do with friends, such as trading or battling Pokémon, participating in raids together, trading Pokémon League cards, and more.
By default, the Y-Comm menu does not distinguish your friends from other players. To change this, select the magnifying glass next to ‘Find Stamps’ at the bottom and select ‘Friends Only’.
Now your feed will only show the activities of friends that you have added through your Nintendo Switch profile.
You can also join your friends using link codes. These four-digit PINs connect up to four people participating in the same activity. Make sure everyone types the same code.
To connect locally or via an internet connection with friends who are not nearby, you can set a pairing code. Open for this Pokémon Sword and Shieldthen press the Y button on your right Joy-Con controller to bring up Y-Comm. Select ‘Link Trade’ at the top and then choose ‘Set Link Code’.
You and your friends will all have to type the same eight-digit code to connect and trade with each other. It can be anything you want or completely random. After choosing a code, enter it and press the A button on your Joy-Con to confirm.
Close the menu and wait to connect.
You will be redirected to the Y-Comm menu, where you can share the code with your friends to start the trading process. If you ever want to cancel a transaction, you can do so at any time by selecting another option from the Y-Comm menu.