Apple released the second developer beta for iOS 14.5 today, Tuesday, February 16. The update comes 15 days after Apple developers posted the first 14.5 beta, which included a slew of new features such as support for standard music apps, compatibility with PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers, and more.
Apple released this update at 10 a.m. PDT, the company’s default release time for developer beta updates. However, if you are a public beta tester, you will not see this update appear on your iPhone just yet. You’ll have to wait for Apple to release iOS 14.5 public beta 2, which we expect today at 1
The first change to emerge comes from 14.5 beta 2’s release notes. Apple confirms a new security feature where iPad (8th generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) mute the microphone when a connected Smart Folio case is closed. That way you know your iPad can’t “listen” to you if you’ve shut things down for now.
Release notes for iOS and iPadOS 14.5 Beta 2
The iOS & iPadOS 14.5 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14.5 beta 2. The SDK ships with Xcode 12.5 beta, available from Beta Software Downloads. See Xcode 12.5 Beta Release Notes for information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.5.
Accessibility: new features
- Many SF symbols now automatically receive a standard accessibility label from a curated list of descriptions. (70305995)
- Vehicles can now start CarPlay if the user’s iPhone is set to share contacts via CarPlay. (71458958)
- You can now use Siri to share your estimated time of arrival. (70440576)
- Using Published in a subclass of a type corresponding to ObservableObject now correctly publishes changes. (71816443)
Displays: Known Issues
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and above) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and above) cannot connect to external displays using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. (72618916)
- You can now share locations with notes and reminders as expected. (72879313)
Privacy: New Features
- iPad (8th generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) now mute the built-in microphone when the Smart Folio is closed. To avoid unnecessary recording of the muted signal, the default behavior is to pause an audio session that uses the built-in microphone when the Smart Folio is closed. You can opt out of the interruption by using the new AVAudioSession.CategoryOptions overrideMutedMicrophoneInterruption, which allows the audio session to play uninterrupted while the microphone input is muted. For more information, see Respond to interruptions in audio sessions. (57042856)
SKAdNetwork: New Features
- With view-through attribution, SKAdNetwork now supports all ad formats for promoting apps. (70345857)
SwiftUI: New Features
- Added TitleAndIconLabelStyle, a new Label display style that shows both the label title and icon using a system default layout. In most cases, labels show both the title and icon by default. However, some containers may apply a different default label style to their content, such as toolbars only icons on macOS and iOS. To ensure that both title and icon are displayed, apply the title and icon label style: Label (“Lightning”, systemImage: “bolt.fill”). LabelStyle (TitleAndIconLabelStyle ()). (64646578)
- Types conforming to any style protocol, such as ButtonStyle, ToggleStyle, are now enforced as value types. Styles must be structures or enumerations, not classes, and conforming a class to a style protocol can lead to an assertion. This is the same restriction that the system has always imposed on View-compliant types. (62886135)
SwiftUI: Fixed in iOS and iPadOS 14.5 Beta 2
- The firing animation of a popover modifier when running in a compact horizontal class now displays as expected. (52606403)
- Setting .preferredColorScheme (nil) is now correctly reset to the system’s preferred color scheme. (67000774)
- NavigationView push and pop now correctly respects disabled animations. (70062477)
- HoverEffect no longer causes ghosting, especially with text. (71344349)
- By using the pointer on iPadOS, certain gestures are no longer confused. (71344436)
- onHover (perform 🙂 is now recognized as expected in a stack. (71344436)
- The NavigationLink destination that differs by local state only now resets that state when switching links as expected. (72117345
- Dynamic properties such as State, Environment and others now work correctly in ButtonStyle instances. (62886135)
- AppStorage property wrappers now work as expected when in an ObservableObject, causing the system to broadcast the objectWillChange publisher. (65562845)
- ProgressView instances initialized with a Progress object now correctly follow updates of the Progress object from background threads and no longer issue a “not allowed” warning on the console. (69999449)
- Using scrollTo (_: anchor 🙂 without specifying an anchor now scrolls the list by the minimum number to make it visible. (70184639)
- A TabView with PageTabViewStyle now correctly calls onAppear (perform 🙂 and onDisappear (perform 🙂 for its tabs. (71225006)
- InlinePickerStyle now converts as an in-line section when applied to a Picker within a list on iOS, watchOS and tvOS, with a check mark to indicate the selected option. (71383311)
Xcode: Known Issues
* You cannot currently collect GPU performance counters in Xcode and Metal System Trace. (74165162)
You need an Apple developer account to update your iPhone to iOS 14.5 dev beta 2. You can download the recovery image from your dev portal and then install it using iTunes or Finder. Otherwise, install the configuration profile and then update it by going to Settings -> General -> Software Update. Finally, you can just wait for it to install automatically if you have a Developer Profile and “Automatic Updates” is turned on.
Keep your connection safe without a monthly billGet a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions, increase security when browsing public networks and more.
Buy now (80% discount)>
Other valuable deals to check out: