Apple released the second public beta for iOS 14.5 today, Wednesday, February 17. The update comes just a day after the company put developers in the second 14.5 beta. That’s why we had 24 hours to get our teeth into beta 2’s new features, such as 217 new emoji, Apple Music lyrics sharing, Apple Music UI updates, and new shortcut options.
Perhaps the biggest feature for beta 2 is new emoji! According to Emojipedia, there are 217 new emoji as part of Emoji 13.1. New emoji include an updated headphone emoji to match AirPods Max, gender options for bearded, heart on fire, exhaling face, and options for mixed-skin couples, and a whole lot more.
For Music, Apple has added swipes to add songs to your queue. Swipe right on a song and you will see a blue icon (Play Next) and an orange icon (Play Later). Swipe left on the song to display a gray (+) icon, which you can use to add the song to your library.
You will also see a floating context menu when you tap the ellipsis (•••). In 14.4 and earlier, this context menu would appear as a scroll box at the bottom of the screen.
You can now share lyrics from Apple Music with friends! If a song has real-time lyrics, you can choose any set of lines, at least until you hit Apple’s character limit. If you send to a 14.5 compatible device, your friend will see a dynamic window with your lyrics directly above the Apple Music link. If their device has an older version of iOS, they will just see the lyrics as plain text above the song link.
Beta 2 slightly changes the animation displayed on your Apple Watch when it unlocks your iPhone. This feature first appeared in beta 1.
We also see three new hot keys: “Voice and Data Mode”, which allows you to switch between 5G, 5G Auto, 4G, LTE and 3G depending on your iPhone model; “Orientation Lock”, which allows you to turn the lock on and off; and “Take Screenshot”, which clicks a screenshot directly to your camera roll, without the need for a thumbnail.
There is also a new security feature for iPad (8th generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation), which mutes the microphone when a connected Smart Folio cover is closed. That way you know your iPad can’t “listen” to you if you’ve shut things down for now.
Beta 2 fixes some bugs from beta 1. This beta is said to fix the green tint issue affecting certain iPhones. According to Apple, CarPlay will now start even if your iPhone is set to share contacts via CarPlay. You can also easily share your estimated time of arrival with Siri when using CarPlay. Plus you can now share locations from maps to notes and reminders.
Release notes for iOS and iPadOS 14.5 Beta 2
The iOS & iPadOS 14.5 SDK provides support for developing apps for iPhone, iPad and iPod touch devices running iOS & iPadOS 14.5 beta 2. The SDK ships with Xcode 12.5 beta, available from Beta Software Downloads. See Xcode 12.5 Beta Release Notes for information on the compatibility requirements for Xcode 12.5.
Accessibility: new features
- Many SF symbols now automatically receive a standard accessibility label from a curated list of descriptions. (70305995)
- Vehicles can now start CarPlay if the user’s iPhone is set to share contacts via CarPlay. (71458958)
- You can now use Siri to share your estimated time of arrival. (70440576)
- Using Published in a subclass of a type corresponding to ObservableObject now correctly publishes changes. (71816443)
Displays: Known Issues
- iPad Pro 11-inch (1st generation and above) and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and above) cannot connect to external displays using the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. (72618916)
- You can now share locations with notes and reminders as expected. (72879313)
Privacy: New Features
- iPad (8th generation), iPad Air (4th generation), iPad Pro 11-inch (2nd generation), and iPad Pro 12.9-inch (4th generation) now mute the built-in microphone when the Smart Folio is closed. To avoid unnecessary recording of the muted signal, the default behavior is to pause an audio session that uses the built-in microphone when the Smart Folio is closed. You can opt out of the interruption by using the new AVAudioSession.CategoryOptions overrideMutedMicrophoneInterruption, which allows the audio session to play uninterrupted while the microphone input is muted. For more information, see Respond to interruptions in audio sessions. (57042856)
SKAdNetwork: New Features
- With view-through attribution, SKAdNetwork now supports all ad formats for promoting apps. (70345857)
SwiftUI: New Features
- Added TitleAndIconLabelStyle, a new Label display style that shows both the label title and icon using a system default layout. In most cases, labels show both the title and icon by default. However, some containers may apply a different default label style to their content, such as toolbars only icons on macOS and iOS. To ensure that both title and icon are displayed, apply the title and icon label style: Label (“Lightning”, systemImage: “bolt.fill”). LabelStyle (TitleAndIconLabelStyle ()). (64646578)
- Types conforming to any style protocol, such as ButtonStyle, ToggleStyle, are now enforced as value types. Styles must be structures or enumerations, not classes, and conforming a class to a style protocol can lead to an assertion. This is the same restriction that the system has always imposed on View-compliant types. (62886135)
SwiftUI: Fixed in iOS and iPadOS 14.5 Beta 2
- The firing animation of a popover modifier when running in a compact horizontal class now displays as expected. (52606403)
- Setting .preferredColorScheme (nil) is now correctly reset to the system’s preferred color scheme. (67000774)
- NavigationView push and pop now correctly respects disabled animations. (70062477)
- HoverEffect no longer causes ghosting, especially with text. (71344349)
- By using the pointer on iPadOS, certain gestures are no longer confused. (71344436)
- onHover (perform 🙂 is now recognized as expected in a stack. (71344436)
- The NavigationLink destination that differs by local state only now resets that state when switching links as expected. (72117345
- Dynamic properties such as State, Environment and others now work correctly in ButtonStyle instances. (62886135)
- AppStorage property wrappers now work as expected when in an ObservableObject, causing the system to broadcast the objectWillChange publisher. (65562845)
- ProgressView instances initialized with a Progress object now correctly follow updates of the Progress object from background threads and no longer issue a “not allowed” warning on the console. (69999449)
- Using scrollTo (_: anchor 🙂 without specifying an anchor now scrolls the list by the minimum number to make it visible. (70184639)
- A TabView with PageTabViewStyle now correctly calls onAppear (perform 🙂 and onDisappear (perform 🙂 for its tabs. (71225006)
- InlinePickerStyle now converts as an in-line section when applied to a Picker within a list on iOS, watchOS and tvOS, with a check mark to indicate the selected option. (71383311)
Xcode: Known Issues
* You cannot currently collect GPU performance counters in Xcode and Metal System Trace. (74165162)
To update your iPhone to iOS 14.5 Public Beta 2, sign up through Apple’s beta site, download and install the configuration profile, then update wirelessly. If you already have the profile, go to Settings -> General -> Software Update to start installing the latest beta version, or you can wait for it to install automatically if “Automatic Updates” is enabled.
Keep your connection safe without a monthly billGet a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions, increase security when browsing public networks and more.
Buy now (80% discount)>
Other valuable deals to check out: