Ais generally considered to be all day. It can help you maintain your energy levels, increase your productivity levels, and maybe even extend your life. These are all potentially relieving benefits for anyone who has a job that involves spending hours in front of a computer.
That being said,doesn’t mean you have to ditch your current desk altogether. And you certainly don̵
while there areif you’re willing to put in the time and effort, there’s no shortage of quality commercial standing desk converters for those who’d rather not pick up a hacksaw and hammer to update their current desk situation.
Many standing desk converters have sit-stand (that is, sit and stand) capabilities and functions, with varying textures and build options, from beveled wood to aluminum. Some have an adjustable height range and a keyboard platform (one even has a removable keyboard tray!). Other adjustable standing desk converter options have a keyboard and mouse pad surface at the same height as the computer monitor. Others are much smaller, with a laptop riser and just enough room for the essentials (sorry about your keyboard and your dual monitor setup). Ultimately, though, you want a sit-stand desk that takes you out of your traditional sitting desk and leads to a healthier, less tired, happier you and a quality work session.
If you’re ready to upgrade your regular desk with the best standing desk converter, the following are our top picks.
Most standing desk conversion kits are semi-permanent and are only intended to increase your existing desk workspace.
Place it on top of your current desk; add the monitor or laptop, keyboard and mouse; and adjust the riser to the correct height adjustment you want for your work surface.
StandStand is a very different desk conversion experience. From the start, it was intended to be a truly portable quality standing desk converter. This standing desk converter is designed to be assembled or disassembled in seconds and users can effortlessly store the desk riser in a backpack.
Another advantage is that the desktop converter is very strong yet lightweight. It is smooth and effortless to use. This standing desk converter is also one of the most affordable workstation conversions available.
- The StandStand is incredibly affordable, starting at just $59 for the baltic birch model and $89 for bamboo.
- Although this standing desk converter has some “rotational play”, it is very sturdy. According to the Kickstarter campaign page, StandStand could withstand a payload of more than 900 pounds (408 kilograms) without breaking.
- It is very light and compact to store, making it one of the few truly portable stand desk solutions out there.
- StandStand is available in four different sizes between 9 and 16 inches (23 and 41 centimeters).
- With StandStand there is no extra work surface at standing height, just enough space for the laptop.
- It only has one work surface for desk space, meaning your keyboard will be too high or your monitor will be too low (unless you have a laptop, in which case your keyboard will still be attached to your monitor).
If you took StandStand and turned it into a more permanent standing desk solution, you’d end up with Readydesk, a wooden workspace lift that comes with two height-adjustable shelves.
Readydesk has a work surface that is wide enough for two 27-inch monitors, with an adjustable height for most people between five feet, three inches and six feet, three inches (1.5 and 1.8 meters) tall, and even has some built-in cable management.
You can also buy an extra shelf or a laptop riser if you want extra workspace or if you want to be able to raise your laptop a few centimeters.
- The Readydesk is easy to assemble (without tools) and highly adjustable.
- High-quality cross braces ensure that the riser does not vibrate.
- At $155, Readydesk is still one of the cheaper standing desk conversion options.
- The Readydesk height-adjustable standing desk is a semi-permanent standing desk conversion, meaning you probably won’t be switching your desk between sitting and standing for short periods or even daily.
- Adjusting the surface height of your keyboard and mouse or monitors means removing an entire shelf, which makes it a little trickier and more time-consuming than other adjustable solutions.
Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the most attractive desk conversion kits available today, which is why it is one of our top picks for the best standing desk converter. This standing desk converter has excellent desk riser quality and standing height stability for an overall smooth experience for the users and no wobble. This adjustable standing desk converter is a two-tier system that assembles your monitors and keyboard and mouse in one swift motion, making it one of the best standing desk converter options for your workstation.
Varidesk Pro Plus comes pre-assembled and ready to use out of the box. Place the desk riser on your existing desk, place your monitor or laptop on the top shelf, keyboard and mouse on the bottom shelf and raise the desk to one of the preset height settings.
The Varidesk Pro Plus adjustable standing desk converter comes in three different models: 30, 36 and 48. The 30 is intended for a single monitor setup, while the 36 offers a dual monitor setup. Intended for people up to six feet tall, the 48 has a work surface for a dual monitor setup, as well as accessories on the top shelf and a keyboard, mouse and tablet on the bottom shelf of the steel frame.
- The advantages are that this standing desk converter adapts more easily than other standing conversions, with the entire workspace of the desktop surface (the top and bottom layers) moving in tandem. The 30 and 368 have 11 different surface height settings and the 48 has nine height settings for lowering or raising your workstation.
- The Varidesk Pro Plus provides little work space at standing or sitting height.
- Varidesk Pro Plus is very sturdy and, depending on the model, can carry between 35 and 45 pounds.
- Starting at $295 and going up to $500, Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the more expensive stand-to-desk conversions out there.
The Ergotron WorkFit-T and the Varidesk Pro Plus are direct competitors. The WorkFit-T has a similar design with similar features and variations. The main difference between the WorkFit-T and Varidesk Pro Plus is that the WorkFit-T moves vertically, while the Varidesk shifts outwards (towards users) when lifted. If space is tight, the minimalist WorkFit-T might be a better fit.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T adjusts vertically at the push of two buttons and has a vertical adjustment of 15 inches.
- This standing desk converter comes pre-assembled and ready to use out of the box.
- Unlike the Varidesk Pro Plus, the height adjustment of the surface of this desk is completely vertical with no lateral movement.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T can carry up to 35 pounds and features a decent amount of workspace at standing or sitting height. The updated model, WorkFit-TL, has a weight capacity of up to 40 pounds and adds a few inches across all dimensions, giving it slightly more monitor and keyboard space than the T model.
- The WorkFit-T retails for $389 and the WorkFit-TL can be purchased for $399 from ErgoDirect, making it even more expensive than the comparable Varidesk Pro Plus.
WorkEZ is the middle ground between Varidesk Pro Plus and StandStand. This adjustable sit-stand desk offers a smooth, small and lightweight conversion that can be easily installed or removed, but it is also highly adjustable and has a keyboard tray.
WorkEZ consists of three parts: the laptop or monitor mount, a separate keyboard tray and a removable mouse pad. The laptop and monitor riser can be adjusted to almost any angle and up to an adjustable height of 18 inches above the existing desk height. The laptop stand, keyboard tray, and mouse pad are all independently adjustable, making it one of the most customizable conversions available.
- At $100, the WorkEZ Standing Desk is reasonably priced between the StandStand and Varidesk Pro Plus.
- It can be easily added to or removed from a traditional desk surface, making the height-adjustable desk ideal for both sitting and standing.
- With individual adjustments to the desktop surface for the laptop or monitor, the angle and height of the keyboard and trackpad, this is easily the most customizable sit-stand workstation, with many adjustable conversions.
- The downside is that the WorkEZ isn’t the smoothest and most stable stand-up conversion option.
- Like the StandStand, the WorkEZ has no extra workspace at standing height.
- WorkEZ only fits on one monitor or laptop and can carry up to about 13 pounds. If you have an extra monitor or a heavy-duty monitor that exceeds that weight limit, you’ll need something like LIFT.
More work from home guides