People who perform tasks that require them to sit in front of a computer for extended periods of time may find some relief from athat can help you increase your productivity, maintain your energy and maybe even extend your life. After all, standing while you work is generally considered that way all day.
That being said,doesn’t mean ditching your current desk altogether. And you certainly don̵
While there areif you’re willing to put in the time and effort, there’s no shortage of high-quality commercial standing desk converters for those who prefer not to pick up a hacksaw and hammer.
Many standing desk converters have sit-stand capabilities and functions, with different texture and build options, from beveled wood to aluminum. Some customizable standing desk converter options have enough surface for a keyboard and mouse pad. Others are much smaller, with a laptop riser and just enough room for the essentials (sorry for your keyboard). But in the end, you want a sit-stand desk that leads to a healthier, less tired, happier you and a quality work session.
If you’re looking for the best standing desk converter, the following are our top picks.
Most standing desk conversion kits are semi-permanent and are only intended to increase your existing desk workspace.
Place it on top of your current desk; add the monitor or laptop, keyboard and mouse; and adjust the riser to the correct height setting you want for your work surface.
StandStand is a completely different experience from the stand-desk converter. From the outset, it was intended to be a truly portable, high-quality standing desk converter. This stand-to-desk converter is intended to be assembled or disassembled in seconds and users can effortlessly put the desk stand in a backpack.
Another advantage is that the desktop converter is very strong yet lightweight. It is smooth and effortless to use. This standing desk converter is also one of the most affordable workstation converters out there.
- The StandStand is incredibly affordable, starting at just $ 59 for the Baltic birch model and $ 89 for bamboo.
- Although this standing desk converter has some “rotational play”, it is very sturdy. According to Kickstarter’s campaign page, StandStand was able to withstand a payload of over 900 pounds (408 kilograms) without breaking.
- It is very light and compact to pack, making it one of the few truly portable desk solutions.
- StandStand is available in four different sizes between 9 and 16 inches (23 and 41 centimeters).
- With StandStand there is no extra surface workspace at standing height, only enough space for the laptop.
- It only has one work surface for desk space, meaning your keyboard will be too high or your monitor too low (unless you have a laptop, in which case your keyboard will still be attached to your monitor).
If you took StandStand and turned it into a more permanent standing desk solution, you’d end up with Readydesk, a wooden workspace elevator that comes with two height-adjustable shelves.
Readydesk has a work surface wide enough for two 27-inch monitors, with an adjustable height that suits most people between 1.5 and 1.8 meters tall, and even has some built-in cable management.
You can also buy an extra shelf or a laptop stand if you want extra work space or need a tilt option to raise your laptop a few inches.
- The Readydesk is easy to assemble (without tools) and highly adjustable.
- Quality cross braces keep the riser from vibrating.
- At $ 155, Readydesk is still one of the cheaper desk converting options.
- Readydesk’s height-adjustable standing desk is a semi-permanent standing desk conversion, which means you probably won’t have to switch your desk back and forth between sitting and standing for short periods of time or even daily.
- Adjusting the surface height of your keyboard and mouse or monitors requires you to remove an entire shelf, making it a bit more tricky and time consuming than other adjustable solutions.
Varidesk Pro Plus is one of the most attractive desk conversion kits available today, which is why it is one of our top picks for the best standing desk converter. This stand-up desk converter has excellent desk stand quality and standing height stability for an overall smooth experience for the users and no wobble. This adjustable standing desk converter is a two-level system that adjusts your monitors, keyboard and mouse in one quick motion, making it one of the best standing desk converters for your workstation.
Varidesk Pro Plus is pre-assembled and ready to use out of the box. Place the desk riser on your existing desk, place your monitor or laptop on the top shelf, keyboard and mouse on the bottom shelf, and raise the desk to one of the preset height settings.
The Varidesk Pro Plus adjustable standing desk converter comes in three different models: 30, 36 and 48. The 30 is for a single monitor setup, while the 36 offers a dual monitor setup. Designed for people up to 6 feet tall, the 48 has a work surface for a dual monitor setup, as well as accessories on the top shelf and a keyboard, mouse and tablet on the bottom shelf of the steel frame.
- The advantages are that this standing desk converter adapts more easily than other standing conversions, where the entire workspace on the desktop (the top and bottom layers) moves in tandem. The 30 and 368 have 11 different height settings and the 48 has nine height settings for lowering or lifting your workstation.
- The Varidesk Pro Plus provides little work space at a standing or sitting height.
- Varidesk Pro Plus is very sturdy and can carry between 35 and 45 pounds depending on the model.
- Varidesk Pro Plus, starting at $ 295 and going up to $ 500, is one of the more expensive stand-desk conversions out there.
The Ergotron WorkFit-T and the Varidesk Pro Plus are direct competitors. The WorkFit-T has a similar design with similar features and variations. The big difference between the WorkFit-T and Varidesk Pro Plus is that the WorkFit-T moves vertically, while the Varidesk shifts outward (towards users) when it is lifted. If space is tight, the minimalist WorkFit-T might be a better fit.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T can be adjusted vertically with the push of two buttons and has a vertical adjustment of 15 inches.
- This standing desk converter is shipped pre-assembled and ready to use out of the box.
- Unlike the Varidesk Pro Plus, the height adjustment of the surface of this folding desk is completely vertical with no sideways movement.
- The Ergotron WorkFit-T can hold up to 35 pounds and has a fair amount of work space at standing or sitting height. The updated model, WorkFit-TL, has a weight capacity of up to 40 pounds and adds several inches in all dimensions, providing slightly more monitor and keyboard space than the T model.
- The WorkFit-T retails for $ 389 and the WorkFit-TL can be purchased from ErgoDirect for $ 399, making it even more expensive than the comparable Varidesk Pro Plus.
WorkEZ is the middle ground between Varidesk Pro Plus and StandStand. This adjustable sit-stand desk offers a smooth, small and lightweight conversion that can be easily installed or removed, but it is also highly adjustable and has a keyboard holder.
WorkEZ consists of three parts: the laptop or monitor support, a separate keyboard compartment and a detachable mouse pad. The laptop and monitor riser can be adjusted to almost any angle and up to a height of 45 cm above the existing desk height. The laptop stand, keyboard tray and mouse pad are all independently adjustable, making it one of the most customizable conversions out there.
- At $ 100, the WorkEZ Standing Desk is priced adequately between the StandStand and Varidesk Pro Plus.
- It is easy to add to or remove from a traditional desk surface, making the height adjustable desk ideal for both seated and standing work.
- With individual adjustments of the desktop surface for the laptop or monitor, keyboard and trackpad in the angle and height, this is easily the most customizable sit-stand workstation, with plenty of customizable conversions.
- The downside is that the WorkEZ is not the most smooth and stable conversion option.
- Just like the StandStand, the WorkEZ has no extra workspace at standing height.
- WorkEZ only fits one monitor or a laptop, and it can only hold about 13 pounds. If you have an extra monitor or a heavy-duty monitor that exceeds this weight limit, you’ll need something like LIFT.
More guides to working from home