Should you ever accidentally shut down your computer by pressing the power button, there is an easy way to turn off the power button (or have it do something else) in Windows 10. You can also control your sleep button if your computer has any of the following functions. That. Here̵
If you want to change the way your computer’s power button works in Windows 10, you need to go to Control Panel. First, start the Control Panel by opening the Start menu and typing “control,” then press Enter or click Control Panel.
In Control Panel, click on ‘Hardware and Sound’.
Locate the “Power Options” section and click “Change what the power buttons do”.
Then you will see a screen telling you what happens when you press the power or sleep button on your machine. Under ‘Power button and sleep button settings’, click the drop-down menu next to ‘When I press the power button’.
In the menu “When I press the on / off button” you see several choices. This is what all options do:
- Do nothing: When you press the power button, nothing happens.
- Sleep: Your PC enters an energy-saving sleep mode, but remains active.
- Sleep mode: Your PC saves the state of your system memory to disk and shuts down. Your session can be resumed later when you make a backup.
- Shut down: This will shut down Windows and turn off your PC. (This is the default setting.)
- Turn off the screen: Your display will turn off, but your PC will continue to work.
Choose an option other than ‘Shut down’ to avoid losing your work if you press the power button. This prevents accidental shutdowns. If you don’t want any interruption from pressing the power button, choose ‘Do nothing’.
Click on “Save Changes” and close the Control Panel.
Tip: To change what your computer’s sleep button does, choose an option from the “When I press the sleep button” drop-down list.
The next time you press the power button on your PC, it will not turn off automatically. If you chose “Do nothing” in the last step, you can still shut down your PC if necessary by choosing “Shut Down” from the Start menu. I hope you have a productive day!
RELATED: What is the difference between Sleep and Hibernate in Windows?