Dropbox online data storage is a powerful, budget-friendly solution for individuals and companies that need secure external data storage in combination with easy access to data from multiple locations. Using a cloud-based system where data is stored in an external online repository and yet securely accessible via the Internet, Dropbox users can back up their data from different computers, devices and locations with minimal restrictions on secure data access .
The Dropbox service also allows a user to share specific files by creating individual, secure folders and giving access to specific friends, family, colleagues & business contacts without having to send large email attachments or transfer tools for large files. Users can also synchronize s data between multiple computers and devices.
The Dropbox online data storage service was launched in 2008 and has grown dramatically. Dropbox currently has more than 25 million customers and users currently upload more than 200 million files every day. In the rapidly changing world of cloud computing, Dropbox has found a safe and growing niche.
How Dropbox works
The Dropbox service is used by uploading files to the Dropbox data repository in the Cloud using the Dropbox client (a piece of software that you must download and install on your computer) or by go to the Dropbox website, log in and use the available upload link. You can install the Dropbox client on multiple computers and devices and take advantage of the option to automatically synchronize specific files and folders between different computers and devices.
The synchronization function of the Dropbox service offers the possibility to keep specific files and folders consistent across multiple systems, such as between your desktop and laptop computer or between your laptop computer and tablet computer or even between your iPhone or Android phone and your desktop computer. By installing and configuring the synchronization process of multiple computers or devices, files can appear on any computer / device without having to download them immediately.
Dropbox offers 2 GB of free storage. If you need more storage space, you pay $ 1
Dropbox online data storage offers a number of useful functions for storing, synchronizing and sharing data. One of the main benefits of this service is peace of mind because you know that your important files are stored in a safe location, no matter what happens to your computer. The main features of the Dropbox service are:
- Data backup – the Dropbox client software ensures the backup of specific files and folders via a secure connection to a secure off-site data repository.
- Data Synchronization – Dropbox allows synchronization of data between multiple computers using the Dropbox client software.
- File Sharing – This service allows you to selectively allow family, friends, colleagues & customers or customers to view and download specific folders or individual files in your Dropbox repository to which you give them access. You can create individual password-protected folders and record the files that you want to share.
- Compatibility – it works with all leading operating systems: Windows, Mac and Linux. Users also have access to their data and folders via mobile iPhone, iPad, Blackberry or Android devices.
- Ease of use – Dropbox is a powerful but easy-to-use service. You can start with a small number of files or folders and expand your use of the service if your needs and requirements change.
- Lightweight – When a file is changed, Dropbox transfers only the parts of the file that have been changed, which can significantly reduce the amount of data being transferred and the time required.
- Configurable – Users can set bandwidth limits for data transfer so that their internet connection is not adversely affected by large amounts of data transfers
- Recover deleted files y – The Dropbox database stores a full month of file history. This means that if you accidentally delete a file on your computer, you can retrieve it from the cloud.
- Version protection – As part of the historical storage process, changes made to documents saved on Dropbox can be undone if necessary.
- Secure data transfers – All data transfers from and to Dropbox use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL), which protect your data against malicious eavesdropping and tampering.
- File history – Dropbox offers the possibility to record the history of a file. If more than one person edits a file saved with Dropbox, the service retains both the old version of the file and the new one.  User Community – There is a Dropbox Online Data Storage community – people who, in addition to using the service, want to improve it by creating add-ons that can be used to increase the number of features of the service able to perform.
The Dropbox service offers peace of mind on the big picture. You can effortlessly restore valuable files stored on Dropbox if your computer gets lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed. When you connect to the Internet, all files that have been added or changed since your last login are automatically transferred (downloaded) to your computer. After that has taken place, you have full access to these files, both on your computer and online.
How People Use Dropbox Online Data Storage
Personal Dropbox Usage
Basic use for Dropbox includes convenient file sharing between family members. Share your Dropbox folder with mom and dad. Upload videos & # 39; s and photos & # 39; s to see what happens in your life.
Students can type an essay on their home computer and easily access that paper on a campus computer. This is done automatically and helps to save time and effort. Students can store all their classwork and research in one convenient location. It is not necessary to e-mail the data or take a USB drive with you. If they need the information at the right time, they can access it from any computer.
If you have an iTunes library or MP3 & # 39; s stored on Dropbox, you can listen to them on your iPhone or other mobile device without any difficulty.
Professional Dropbox usage
Professionals and small business owners can use Dropbox online data storage to work at home. All their research and information appears seamlessly on their home computer via the synchronization process. They can easily share it with other team members. Reliable data backup also provides peace of mind.
Using creative minds Dropbox online data storage to innovate new ways to organize otherwise complex and often chaotic information.
For example, Dropbox was used extensively during the Japan Earthquake and tsunami disaster. Disaster relief committees coordinated efforts through shared folders. An industrious user gathered information about transportation issues. This was widely shared with commuters who had few other ways of finding out about these reports. Another user compiled news reports. This was useful for many Japanese citizens who still had internet but no television.
Potential disadvantages of Dropbox
Despite so many practical applications, Dropbox is not without failures. Database security has sometimes been called into question. They experienced a short period earlier this year, when a faulty upgrade set the system that no passwords were needed to log in. The upgrade was quickly taken offline (and the old version restored) until that problem was solved.
A feature that has not yet been implemented is & # 39; read-only permission & # 39 ;. Currently, when users share folders, that information can be changed by anyone who can view the folders. This can be a problem when sharing with many people. Fortunately, modified files can be recovered. As mentioned earlier, Dropbox keeps a one-month history of document changes. This allows you to return to any previous document version.
Future of Dropbox Online Data Storage Service
The company is constantly upgrading its software. The latest version, released earlier this year, implemented speed and performance improvements when working with large folders and files. A substantial memory optimization code has also been added.
In the future, Dropbox says that commercially available devices (sold at Best Buy and other electronic stores) will automatically handle data synchronization with the service. Business programmers build an API that allows software developers to link their own applications with Dropbox. This guarantees the future functionality of Dropbox is significantly improved. Stay informed, the world of online data services continues to evolve rapidly.
If you have used Dropbox or another similar service, leave a comment and share your thoughts and experiences. . Thanks