Credit: Jimmy Westenberg / Android Authority
The ability to pay for anything with a phone or smartwatch is a lifesaver if you’ve ever forgotten your wallet. It also generally makes checkout faster. Like Apple, Google, Samsung and Fitbit, Garmin has its own contactless payment solution. Whether you already own a Garmin smartwatch or are planning to buy one, here’s everything you need to know about Garmin Pay.
What is Garmin Pay?
With Garmin Pay, you can pay for things at select stores by simply using your Garmin smartwatch. Like most other contactless payment options, these devices use Near Field Communication (NFC). The wave symbol on the card reader means it accepts contactless payments via supported debit and credit cards, phones and smartwatches. All you need to do is select your card on your watch and put your wrist close to the card reader to complete a transaction.
Security is always a concern, but Garmin has done a good job in this regard. It uses transaction codes every time you make a purchase to secure the process. Card numbers are not stored on the device or on Garmin’s servers and are not available to sellers. Instead, it relies on watch-specific card numbers. Three incorrect attempts to enter the passcode will also lock you out. You can only reset the passcode if you remember the old one. If you don’t, the entire wallet will be deleted to keep your data safe.
Garmin Pay devices
Garmin has continuously added Garmin Pay support to more devices, from just two at launch to 51 so far.
- Garmin Forerunner 945, Forerunner 745, Forerunner 645, Forerunner 645 Music
- Garmin Fenix 6, Fenix 6 Pro Series, Fenix 6S, Fenix 6S Pro Series, Fenix 6X, Fenix 6X Pro Series
- Garmin Fenix 5 Plus, Fenix 5S Plus, Fenix 5X Plus
- Garmin Vivoactive 3 Music, Vivoactive 3, Vivoactive 4, Vivoactive 4S
- Garmin Vivomove Style, Vivomove Luxe
- Garmin Venu, Venu Sq
- Garmin D2 Delta S, D2 Delta, D2 Delta PX
- Garmin Marq Driver, Marq Aviator, Marq Captain, Marq Expedition, Marq Athlete, Marq Commander, Marq Adventurer, Marq Golfer
- Garmin Legacy Saga and Legacy Hero series
- Garmin Approach S62
- Garmin Descent Mk2, Descent Mk2i
- Garmin D2 Delta, D2 Delta S, D2 Delta PX
- Garmin Quatix 6, Quatix 6X
- Garmin Tactix Delta series
Also read: The best Garmin running watches you can buy
Garmin Pay banks and cards
You can use Garmin Pay with any payment terminal or card reader that accepts contactless payments, but you can only add a bank or card that is supported. There are too many to list here which is a testament to how widely supported this feature is.
Broadly speaking, you can use Garmin Pay in 66 countries, with hundreds of supported banks. While the majority of them are in the US, Garmin is constantly adding participating banks. You can find the full list of supported banks and cards here.
Using Garmin Pay
Connect a device
- Download the Garmin Connect app to get started.
- Make sure your Garmin wearable is paired with the app. You will see the “Add Device” option on the My Day tab if a device is not paired. You can also open the hamburger menu, tap Garmin devices and add a device.
- You should see an icon of your device at the top of the My Day tab. Tap on it and select Garmin Pay. You can also access it by going to the Garmin devices page.
Add a card
- Once you open the Garmin Pay page, tap Create your wallet.
- You must set a 4-digit PIN to secure the wallet. This is also the passcode you will need to access your maps on the watch.
- Select a card type. Options include Visa, Mastercard, Maestro and Discover.
- You must manually enter your card details such as the card number, expiration date and security code. Scanning your card is also an option.
- You will receive an SMS with a verification code. In some cases, you will need to call your bank customer service to complete the process.
- After verification, you will receive a notification on your Garmin watch to indicate that Garmin Pay is active.
How you can pay
- Press and hold the action button on the watch. From the menu, find and tap Garmin Pay (the virtual wallet icon).
- Enter the access code.
- The cards you have added are displayed. You can swipe up or down to find the card you want to use. The card you last used is at the top.
- Once the card is selected, hold your wrist close to the contactless card reader.
- The bezel of the watch face will light up and you will also feel a slight vibration and you will see a check mark on the watch screen. Your payment has been completed!
That’s all you need to know about using Garmin Pay. Has something been missed? Let us know in the comments.
The next: Which music apps work with Garmin smartwatches?