Samsung decided to jump into the foldable category early and announce the Galaxy Fold in February 2019. After a big hiccup, Samsung released the phone four months later to praise. But Samsung is not finished with foldable parts, because the new Galaxy Z Flip is just on the horizon.
Samsung has announced the new folding smartphone in addition to the Galaxy S20, S20 + and S20 Ultra. Unlike the Fold, the Z Flip borrows a design from the past, with a clamshell style reminiscent of flip phones from the early 2000s. And while it's not cheap, it has the lowest price of a foldable telephone on the market.
Go to a section: Striking features | Dates | Storage Price | Body | Basics | Software Skin | View | Performance Battery | Front camera | Reversing camera Audio | Media formats Sensors Connectivity Security Box contains
Although the Galaxy Z Flip lacks the latest SoC from Qualcomm, it still uses the most powerful SoC on a folding phone, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. Unlike the Motorola RAZR, a phone with a similar design, it uses a foldable glass screen known as Ultra Thin Glass. And with $ 1,380, it is also the most affordable folding smartphone on the market.
The Galaxy Z Flip was announced on 11 February alongside the Galaxy S20 series in San Francisco, CA. There is no pre-order date, as the phone is released three days after the announcement date on Valentine's Day (February 14).
- Release Date: February 14, 2020
- Preorder Date: None
- Announcement Date: February 11, 2020
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has one storage option, 256 GB. And just like the Galaxy Fold, there is no support for microSD cards.
- Storage available: 256 GB
- Expandable storage: no
- Standard: UFS 3.0
The Galaxy Z Flip costs $ 1380 , which slightly undermines the Motorola RAZR. That makes it the most affordable folding at the moment, but it is still about 40% more than a comparable phone with a non-folding screen.
Unlike the Galaxy Fold, the Galaxy Z Flip will use an ultra-thin phone glass on the Z Flip. If the glass is less than 100 microns thick, it can be reliably folded. But the glass that Samsung uses here (developed by Dolnsys) is only 30 micrometers so you can be confident that it will not crack if you close the phone.
The Z Flip is available in three colors: Mirror Black, Mirror Purple and Mirror Gold.
- Frame: aluminum, glass (Gorilla Glass 6)
- Finish: Mirror Purple, Mirror Black, Mirror Gold
One of the best part of this design is the ability to compress the phone into a smaller footprint when not in use. When folded, the phone is only 3.44 centimeters long and 2.90 centimeters wide. And because of the clamshell design, only the length (6.61 inches) increases when unfolded. It is worth noting that the hinge portion is thicker than the bottom edge when folded.
- Height: 3.44 inch (folded) 6.59 inch (unfolded)
- Width: 2.90 inch
- Depth: 0.68 inch (folded), 0.28 inch (unfolded)
- Weight: 6.46 oz
- Dust / water resistance: Unknown
- Supported carriers: Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile, Sprint
- Infrared blaster: Unknown
Like the Galaxy S20 series, the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip will use the latest version of Android. Android 10 comes with native support for folding screens, which means that it is easier for apps to scale up to the new design.
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip is being implemented One UI 2, the latest version of the Samsung skin that runs on Android 10.
In addition to the software is the new Flex mode. To activate, simply place the phone at 90 ° where it can be locked (in addition to 180 °). For apps that support this (such as the Camera app), the controls are moved to the lower half and media to the upper half.
Like the Galaxy Fold, the Z Flip two screens, a 6.7-inch main screen and a 1.06-inch external screen. The external screen, known as the Cover screen, is a Super AMOLED panel with a resolution of 300 x 116 that displays the time, speeds, battery information and various messages (in fact, it acts as the Always-on display, no longer possible with the foldable design). You can even use this screen to make selfies, with the screen as a very small viewfinder if you want.
As for the main screen, it has a resolution of 2636 x 1080 with a new aspect ratio of 22: 9. It will use a perforation hole to accommodate a centered camera on the front, similar to the Galaxy S20 series. The screen uses the newer Dynamic AMOLED panel, the Super AMOLED with HDR10 +. HDR10 + is the latest high-dynamic format that uses dynamic metadata, which adjusts brightness limits for each frame, ensuring that all frames are present in the optimum brightness.
- Screen Size: 6.7 inch (unfolded), 1.1 inch (folded)
- Screen resolution: 2636 x 1080 (unfolded), 300 x 112 (folded)
- Total pixels: 2,846,880 pixels (unfolded) , 34,800 (folded)
- Pixel density: 425 ppi (unfolded), 303 ppi (folded)
- Screen type: Dynamic AMOLED (unfolded), Super AMOLED (folded)
- Cut-out: no
- Punching hole: yes (folded)
- Screen / body ratio: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Aspect ratio: 21.9: 9 (unfolded), 2.59: 1 (folded)
- Minimum brightness: Unknown (unfolded), Un known (folded)
- Maximum brightness: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Refresh rate: 60 Hz (60 Hz for touch sensitivity)
- Color temp: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
- Color gamut: Unknown (unfolded), Unknown (folded)
One aspect of the Samsung Galaxy Z Flip that fans may not like is the use of the SoC flagship, the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+. The 855 Plus is identical to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 but with a slight overclock on both the CPU and GPU side for better game performance. It uses a 7 nm process for improved energy efficiency.
RAM is more than enough for most users at 8 GB. However, due to the older SoC, it will use the older LPRDDR4 standard instead of the LPRDDR5 from the Galaxy S20 series.
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 855+  Chip size: 7 nanometer
- CPU frequency: 2.95 GHz (gold) + 2.41 GHz (gold) + 1.78 GHz (silver)
- CPU cores: 8 (4 gold +) 4 Silver)
- GPU: Adreno 640
- GPU- frequency: 672 MHz
With the help of two batteries, the Galaxy Z Flip has a total capacity of 3,300 mAh. In contrast to the Galaxy S20 series, fast charging is limited to Adaptive Fast Charging from Samsung, a technology based on Quick Charge 2.0 with a maximum output of 15 W. It also supports wireless charging via Qi charging, but with speeds of 9 W.
- Battery: rechargeable lithium ion
- Capacity: 3300 mAh, 3.86 Volt (12.7 Watt hour)
- Wired charging: yes, adaptive fast charging 15 W
- Wireless charging: yes, Qi charging (9 W)
- Backward wireless charging: yes, PowerShare
The camera on the front is in a hole on the main display. We suspect that it is the same Sony IMX374 camera as in the Galaxy Fold, but so far this has not been confirmed. Anyway, it has similar specifications (10 MP, f / 2.4 aperture, a field of view of 80 ° and a pixel size of 1.22 µm). For video you can record up to 4K at 30 fps.
- Resolution: 10 MP
- Aperture: f / 2.4
- Pixel size: 1.22 µm
- Sensor size: 1 / 3.2 "
- Zoom: no
- Flash: yes, screen flash
- Image stabilization: no
- RAW support: yes  Object detection: yes, face
- Formats : JPEG, RAW
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has dual rear cameras, each with 12 MP, one with a wide-angle lens and the other with an ultra-wide lens. The primary camera has an f / 1.8 aperture and a field of 78 °, while the ultra-wide has an f / 2.2 aperture and a field of display of 123. For the flash, Samsung has again supplied the High CRI LED flash. is only available on the primary (wide-angle) camera.
- Resolution: 12 MP (primary), 12 MP (ultra-wide)  Sensor size: Unknown
- Aperture: f / 1.8 (primary), f / 2.2 (ultra wide)
- Zoom: yes, 1x optical, 8x digital
- Flash: yes, High CRI LED  Image stabilization: yes, primary
- RAW support : yes
- Lens cap: sapphire glass
- Object detection: yes, food , faces
- Formats: JPEG, RAW
The maximum resolution for video recording is 4K at 60 fps. HDR10 + is also supported for video recording. There is support for super slow motion (up to 960 fps) but video recording is limited to 0.4 seconds (this duration doubles to 0.8 seconds if you reduce the frame rate to 480 fps). Super Steady, the improved stabilization from Samsung, is also available for recordings with 1080p or a lower resolution.
- Resolution: 720p, 1080p, 4K
- Maximum image speed: 720p at 30 fps, 1080p at 60 fps, 4K at 60 fps
- Slow motion: 720p at 960 fps, 1080p at 240 fps (limited duration)
- Time-lapse: yes, 1080p
- Photos: yes, 9.1 MP photos during 4K recording  Zoom: yes, 8x digital zoom
- Flash access: yes, see above
- Image stabilization: yes, VDIS (video digital image stabilization))
- Object detection: Unknown  Autofocus: tracking AF
- Audio: stereo
- Formats: H.264 (AVC), H.265 (HEVC))
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip has a single mono speaker at the bottom of the phone. For Bluetooth and USB-C headphones, you can add surround sound with Dolby Atmos. For those who love hi-fi sound, the Galaxy Z Flip supports up to 32-bit audio.
- 3.5 mm headphone jack: no
- Stereo speakers: yes, front and bottom firing  Microphones: Unknown
The Samsung Galaxy Z Flip shares the same audio and file formats as the Galaxy S20 series.
- Audio: MP3, M4A, 3GA, AAC, OGG, OGA, WAV, WMA, AMR, AWB, FLAC, MID, MIDI, XMF, MXMF, IMY, RTTTL, RTX, OTA, APE, DSF, DFF
- Video: MP4, M4V, 3GP, 3G2, WMV, ASF, AVI, FLV, MKV, WEBM
The usual range of sensors is present in the Galaxy Z Flip.
- Sensors: accelerometer, barometer, gyro sensor, geomagnetic sensor, hall sensor, proximity sensor, RGB light sensor
The Galaxy Z Flip does not support dual frequency satellite navigation. Coverage via Galileo and BeiDou satellite navigation systems is also limited.
- GPS: yes, L1
- aGPS: yes
- Glonass: yes, L1
- BeiDou: yes, B1
- Galileo: yes, E1
- QZSS: no
The Galaxy Z Flip is limited to WiFi 5 (802.11ac). NFC is on board, as well as a USB Type-C port for wired connections. The Galaxy Z Flip is a dual SIM device that uses both an eSIM and a nano SIM.
- Wi-Fi: 802.11 a / b / g / n / ac
- Bluetooth: 5.0  NFC: yes
- Mobile: eSIM and nano- SIM
- Port: USB Type-C
Like the Galaxy Fold, it will use a side-mounted fingerprint scanner. There is also a non-3D face release using the front camera (in the camera in the hole).
As usual, Knox is on board for software and hardware security and protects against tampering and other attacks. A built-in antivirus scanner made possible by McAfee. And the secure folder is available to keep sensitive files and other data separate from the rest of your data.
- Fingerprint scanner: yes, side mounting (capacitive)
- Face scanner: no  Iris scanner: no
- Manual authentication: password, pin code, pattern, swipe
The Galaxy Z Flip comes with a protective case and AKG USB-C earbuds.
- Samsung Galaxy Z Flip
- Data cable
- Travel adapter
- USB connector (OTG)
- Quick start guide
- Clear Cover
- Earphones (USB Type) -C) with sound from AKG
Become an Android phone expert with our ultimate guide for Android eBook.
Buy now for $ 1.00>