Are you a homeschool teacher, student, parent of a student, K-1
Who is Apple’s Education Discount for?
Under Apple’s terms of sale, the following people are eligible for the education discount in the US:
- Gay school teachers teaching K-12 students.
- K-12 teachers and other employees of K-12 institutions. Even members of the school board are eligible.
- Students at higher education institutions, including students who have been admitted to a college or university but who are not yet participating.
- Parents of higher education students, provided they purchase the hardware on behalf of their child.
- Faculty and staff of higher education institutions.
Apple says these products are not for resale.
How do you get Apple Education awards?
Here’s the best part: Getting Apple’s education discount is actually quite easy. You just need to go to the right place on Apple’s website.
Go to the Apple Education Store website to start shopping. Choose the products you want to buy, view and buy them. It’s that simple.
How much will you save?
But how much money can you save with the Education Store? Well, as of November 27, 2020, the discounts are as follows:
- MacBook Air: $ 899 in the Education Store vs $ 999 normal (save $ 100)
- MacBook Pro: $ 1,199 in the Education Store versus $ 1,199 regular (save $ 100)
- Mac mini: $ 679 in the Education Store vs $ 699 regular (save $ 20)
- iMac: $ 1,049 in the Education Store versus $ 1,099 normal (save $ 50)
- iMac Pro: $ 4,599 in the Education Store versus $ 4,999 normal (save $ 400)
- Mac pro: $ 5,599 in the Education Store versus $ 5,999 normal (save $ 400)
- Pro Display XDR: $ 4,599 in the Education Store versus $ 4,999 normal (save $ 400)
- iPad Pro: $ 749 in the Education Store vs $ 799 regular (save $ 50)
- iPad Air: $ 549 in the Education Store vs $ 599 regular (save $ 50)
- iPad: $ 309 in the Education Store vs $ 329 regular (save $ 20)
- iPad mini: $ 379 in the Education Store versus $ 399 regular (save $ 20)
Your savings depend on the model you choose. For example, on some more expensive iMac models, you can save $ 100 instead of $ 50.
The products and discounts available can of course vary over time.
What are the limits?
There are limits to how much you can buy from the Education Store. Under Apple’s terms, each individual has the following purchase limits as of November 2020:
- Desktop: one per year
- Mac mini: one per year
- MacBook: one per year
- iPad: three per year
The limits are reset every academic school year.
How do you prove your eligibility?
In the US, you don’t really need to prove your eligibility at the time of purchase, although Apple may contact you to request some sort of proof if they see fit.
If you are a student, teacher, or faculty member at an educational institution, you may want to use your email address of that institution to place the order. A .edu email address makes it pretty clear that you qualify.
Why you shouldn’t abuse Apple’s education awards
While it may sound easy for anyone to get the discount, we strongly recommend that you don’t abuse this system. Only order from the Education Store if you are actually eligible.
Under the terms, Apple reserves the right to charge your credit card for the difference between the regular price of the hardware and the tuition price you paid. If you don’t pay with a credit card, Apple says it reserves the right to bill you the price difference and sue you if you don’t pay.
These terms are likely intended for people who really abuse this system – for example, resellers who order the maximum number of products each year and sell them elsewhere for cash. However, if you qualify for the tuition awards, don’t worry about that.
What about Apple Education pricing outside the United States?
Apple offers education awards in some other countries. If you live in another country, search the Internet for the “Apple Education Store” in your country. Discounts and eligibility may vary from country to country.
Other countries may also need more verification. For example, Apple’s Education Store in the UK requires you to verify your status with UNiDAYS before ordering.