Skype is one of the most popular video, voice and text chat services out there. Its extensive feature set and device compatibility make it one of the best options for keeping in touch with others remotely. If you're trying to have the fun, let us help you with this guide. We'll show you how to use Skype and the necessary steps to set it up.
Download the app
The official Skype app is available for Windows, MacOS, Linux, iOS and Android. The first step, of course, is to download the app. Alternatively, you can use Skype Online from any browser.
Create your Skype account
Downloading the app is only the first step. Now you need an account and the good news is that you only need to follow a few steps to achieve it.
- Go to Skype.com to create a new account.
- Enter your phone number or email address. You can also get a new email address from Outlook.com or Hotmail.com.
- Enter your first and last name.
- You are now asked for your date of birth and country of residence.
- Prove you are a real person by typing random letters on the screen.
- You have an account!
You have an account, but your contact list looks empty. You have to add your friends and family as contacts. To do this, go to the section Contacts and select the button New contact . You can add them via a phone number, type in an email account, or search for their Skype name. If you can't find a contact, you can always ask him / her to give you the Skype name.
You are asked to import your contacts from your Microsoft account when you create your Skype account. Of course, this won't work if your Microsoft account is new, but if you already have an account with a full list of contacts, this is a great way to connect with all your friends and family without adding them one by one. You may even find old friends there!
Using Skype Chats, Calls and Video Chats
Once you have added a contact, you can easily view your list of Contacts and the contact you want to start a conversation with. A chat window will open and you can start typing. You can also make a voice call or video call from this window.
Starting a Group Chat
Your conversations don't have to be with one person at a time. Group chats can be a fun and convenient way to keep in touch with multiple participants at the same time. Go to the section Chats to create a group chat. You will find a button New chat . Select it and you will be presented with three options: New Group Chat New Chat and New Private Conversation . Choose the first one, set a name for the chat and select people from your contacts to involve them in the conversation.
Keeping quiet with a Skype private conversation
] Skype Private Conversations provide end-to-end encryption for calls, messages and file delivery. Content is hidden from chat list notifications. They are also exclusive to the devices used to create or accept the invitation. It's a great way to protect your private conversations.
Go to the section Chats to make a private conversation via Skype. You will find a button New chat . Select it and you will be presented with three options: New Group Chat New Chat and New Private Conversation . Choose the latter, select the contact you want to have a private chat with and wait for the person to accept the invitation.
Calling and sending text messages to phone numbers
One of the best features of Skype is that it can be used as a way to reach phone numbers, not just for Skype to Skype users. Of course, this is not a free feature. You must pay by getting Skype Credit or paying for a subscription.
Another great feature that you have at your disposal is the ability to pay for a phone number. You can get a phone number to which your contacts can call or text. All calls and messages go through the app and you can continue the call from all your devices.
Those who use Skype for professional affairs are likely to be looking at Microsoft Teams, which now includes Skype for Business, as well as other professional tools and services. This includes more professional Skype services and a few work-oriented features. Let's discuss a few.
How to Set Your Availability Status:
You can easily tell your colleagues about your current availability. You can set your status to available, in a meeting or presentation. Regular Skype users can also choose Active, Away, Do Not Disturb or Invisible.
- Open Skype.
- Click on the status section under your name.
- Select your status.
How to Meet a Contact
If one of your contacts is busy, Skype for Business makes it easy to have a meeting plan with others.
- Open Skype.
- Find the contact you want to schedule a meeting with.
- Move your cursor over the contact and select the three-dot menu button.
- Select Schedule a meeting .  Follow the instructions.
How to Share Your Screen on Skype
Sometimes displaying your computer screen is the best way to get an idea to visualize. This is easy to do on Skype for Business.
- Open Skype.
- Start a conversation or group chat.
- Click the monitor icon.
- Select Present Desktop .  Choose the screen you want to share.
- You can give others control over your screen using an option that appears in the top left corner. Just click on Give Control and select the user you want to grant access to.
Record a meeting
- Once in a meeting select the three-dot menu button in the bottom right corner.
- Select Start recording .
Schedule a Skype Meeting Broadcast
You can broadcast video conferences to up to 10,000 viewers. This is great for those larger conferences where a traditional meeting isn't the most convenient option.
- Use your browser to enter https://portal.broadcast.skype.com/.//19659011 ة Sign.
- Click on New meeting .
- Fill in the required information and click on Done .
- Copy the meeting link on the meeting summary page.
- Paste this into an email text from Outlook and send an email to all participants.
- This link allows participants to access the meeting.
Now that you know how to use Skype and do all the basic operations, get started talking to your friends and family. This is also a popular app for work-related conference calls and meetings, so you can get productive with it too. Enjoy!