Raise your hand if this has happened to you. You have 20 tabs open and one of them appears to be playing music or rolling a video. You make yourself mad to click around to find out what it is, and now you start to get angry. Fortunately, Google has a new button for the Chrome desktop browser that allows you to pause (and play) music and video on the tab where you are now, without having to go through the nightmare to find the culprit first.
The button is useful for those who usually have multiple tabs open, increase the volume of your computer and need to turn the music off quickly.
The new feature is still in the experimental phase, so it may work differently after it has been officially released. Here's how it works and how to test it yourself.
First perform this Chrome update
Make sure you have the latest update on your desktop, Chrome 77. If you know you already have it, browse to the next section.
1. In your Chrome browser, select the three stacked dots in the upper right corner.
2. Mouse over Help and select About Google Chrome . If Google Chrome has been updated, you can skip this section.
3. Click on Relaunch . Make sure you have saved everything that you are working on, because this will restart your Chrome tabs.
Now you have the latest Chrome version and you can proceed to the next step.
Switch on the pause / play button.
1. Open a Chrome browser and search for chrome: // flags / in the address bar.
2. Search the box Search for flags Global Media Controls .
3. Select Enabled from the right drop-down list.
4. Click on Restart now . Make sure you have saved everything, because this will restart your browser.
5. You now see a button Play in your toolbar. Use that to start and stop audio.
Time to test it
1. Open a site such as YouTube or the Spotify Web Player in your browser and select a song or video to play.
2. When you are ready to pause it, click the Play button in your toolbar.
3. A box appears with the current video or the song being played. Click on the button Pause .
4. Click the Play button to continue listening. There is also Fast-forward and Rewind .
That's it! Now you can easily pause and play video & # 39; s from any tab.
Looking for more Google tips? View this Gmail trick that prevents spammers from following you. This is also the newest way from Google to help you find your photos and Google Maps now navigates you a gazillion times better.
Originally published earlier this week.