in 2018, Google Pay works without shops and restaurants your actual card numbers. Essentially, your credit and debit card details are securely stored on Google's servers and instead of passing on your card numbers, Google Pay uses a token that is called a virtual account number as a stand-in.
help you set up Google Pay and how you can use it online and in stores and restaurants. I will also show you how you can use it with your Gmail and add loyalty memberships, transit passes and gift cards. Watch the video below if you want to follow step by step.
Setting up Google Pay
The first thing you need to do is download the Google Pay app.
1. Download the app from the Google Play Store to install it.
2. Open the Google Pay app and tap the button Getting started .
3. Then tap the button Connect to Gmail . A window will appear asking for your permission to allow Google Pay to access your device's location.
4. Google Pay wants to know your location so that it can inform you when you are in a place that accepts Google Pay or uses your loyalty cards. To use the localization function, tap the button with the blue alphabet On at the bottom of the screen.
5. There are four tabs at the bottom of the Google Pay app: Home page, Payment, Passes and Shipping. Go to the Payment tab and then tap the button Add payment method .
You can also start on the Home tab . Go to the section Pay with your phone in the store and tap the blue button Set . If you already have a card with your Google account (perhaps for the Google Play Store or for another Google service) will offer to connect that credit or debit card to the Google Pay app on your phone. Slightly creepy, but especially useful.
6. You also have the option to add a new card to your account. To do this, tap Add a new card and then keep your card in the camera window that appears. After the camera has captured the data from your card, check the expiration date and CVC number of your card.
7. Press the Save button at the bottom of the screen. Read the terms of service and tap the button Accept and continue at the bottom.
8. Your bank will then verify your card and you will receive a message that your lock screen is being used for Google Pay. Once you understand that, press the blue Got It button below.
9. You are then on the screen Verify your map . Choose where you want to receive the verification number. Depending on your card, you can have it sent to your e-mail address or telephone number. Once you choose, tap the Continue button . When you receive the number, type it in the field on the screen Verification number and tap the Send button.
Setting a standard card for Google Pay
You can save multiple cards on Google Pay and even set one as a standard card.
1. Tap the saved card that you want to set as the default.
2. When the card details screen appears, tap the Standard for payments in the store . It takes about a minute to turn blue. Exactly how long? Well, I had enough time to add a nickname for my card (Brewster & # 39; s Millions).
How to use Google Pay in stores, restaurants and ATMs
Search for the wireless payment to use Google Pay in a store or restaurant. logo at a register. It is the one that looks like a hand holding a square piece of cheese above a plate with curved hot dogs of increasing length.
Charlie Wagner / CNET
When you see the symbol, unlock your phone at the checkout (keep it a few centimeters away) and Google Pay will open with your standard card. Google Pay uses, just like Apple Pay,to connect to a registry.
Paying with your phone may be new, but Google Pay can do much more. This allows you to use your phone to withdraw money from an ATM. For example, if you have a Chase debit card that is linked to Google Pay, you can use it at a Chase cash machine with a contactless reader to withdraw money. For this you of course still have to enter the pin code of your debit card.
Send and receive money with Google Pay
But Google Pay is not just about using your phone instead of plastic cards. You can send and request cash with friends and family, just as you can withand Zelle.
1. To send cash, open the app Messages .
2. Start a new message and tap the + button.
3. From there, tap the pop-up window Google Pay .
4. Tap Continue Enter the amount you want to send and press the blue button Add money .
5. After a few seconds you will see a small square in your message balloon with the amount of money you have entered. When you are done, tap the Send icon .
This same process works to request money.
You can also use Gmail to send and request money. It is incredibly easy.
1. Start a new e-mail message and tap the icon paper clip if you use the Gmail app on your phone or the icon $ if you use Gmail via a browser.
2. Then select Send money or Request money . Enter the amount, add a memo and then tap Attach money or Attach request .
3. Finally send your message.
With Google Pay you can also send or request money via your browser.
1. Go to pay.google.com and log in.
2. Then select the Send or request money .
3. Tap Send money or Request for money .
4. Enter the amount you want to send or request, and then enter the recipient's phone number, email or their name to retrieve information from their contact card.
5. Finally, tap Send or Request .
Using Google Pay on websites and apps
You can also use Google Pay when paying on websites and in apps such as Caviar, Starbucks and Airbnb. Whenever you see the icon Google Pay on a site or in an app, tap on it during checkout.
Adding loyalty and gift cards to Google Pay
With your Google Pay Wallet you can add loyalty cards and gift cards. For example, I have added my. But a number of traders are supported, from Starbucks and Walgreens to Ikea and airlines such as United, Delta and American.
1. To add a loyalty or gift voucher, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passes tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then tap the blue Pass button with a + sign.
3. Then select Loyalty program or Gift card in the pop-up window. When the list of shops and restaurants appears, choose the company for your card or loyalty program.
4. If you have a gift voucher, you will be asked to enter the details of the card. For a loyalty program, a camera window appears to scan your loyalty membership number. Some companies give you the option to enter the numbers manually by tapping the manually enter button at the bottom of the screen. If you don't have a membership yet, some companies, such as sandwich maker Jimmy John & # 39; s, will register you for a new account.
Passes don't work as seamlessly as a credit or debit card, but it can be handy with all your memberships and gift cards in one place. And here is how you use a gift voucher or loyalty card.
1. Go to the Passes tab and choose the loyalty card that you want to use.
2. Then present the barcode to the cashier for scanning. If your card does not have a bar code, read your membership number to the cashier.
To sort your loyalty cards, open the Passes tab. Then tap and hold the map that you want to rearrange. Move it up or down to reorder it the way you want.
Use Google Pay on a transit system
With Google Pay you can also add your transit card to your telephone to board trains, subways & buses. Currently only four city transit systems support it:
- The monorail in Las Vegas
- The TriMet, C-TRAN and Portland Streetcar with The Hop in Portland, Oregon
- The MCAT transit system in Manatee County, Florida  Public transportation in Melbourne and parts of Victoria, Australia, with the MYKI transit pass
1. To add a transit card, open the Google Pay app and tap the Passes tab at the bottom of the screen.
2. Then tap the blue Pass button with a plus sign.
3. Select Transit in the pop-up window. A screen appears with the supported transport systems. Tap the one you want to use. Depending on the transit system, you may be taken to a transit website or app to purchase your tickets or passes.
To use a pass or ticket, wake up your phone. For some transit systems you may have to unlock your phone and choose your ticket. Then hold your phone against the card reader and wait until you see a blue check mark.
Google Pay and your transaction data
I was curious about the data that Google collects when you use Google Pay. . I found out that Google may use data from Google Pay transactions:
- To facilitate your Google Pay transactions
- To show you your transaction details and history
- To solve a problem with Google Pay
- To offer you other Google Pay functions
And as simple as that sounds, it is the latter – "other Google Pay functions" – that leaves the door open for targeted advertisements. However, if you are already a Gmail user, let Google do almost the same.