This story is part of a group of stories called
It's not enough to have great new devices, apps and games – you also need to know how to use them. Here at The Verge, we provide step-by-step instructions for experienced and new users working with online, macOS, Windows, Chrome OS, iOS and Android apps, services, phones, laptops and other tools. From simple instructions for installing and using new devices to little-known strategies to take advantage of hidden features and the best methods of adding power or storage, we've got your tech knowledge back.
Keeping in touch while taking social distance is very important. That's why we rely on apps that allow you to have group conversations. WhatsApp, which sends messages over the Internet instead of texting, has become a popular alternative to texting, but you can also call it. On WhatsApp, you can have an audio-only or video group conversation with up to four people. WhatsApp is a good alternative to Zoom for smaller groups because it uses end-to-end encryption (unlike Zoom).
WhatsApp is available for both iOS and Android, so you can easily chat or call people even if you don't they all have the same kind of phone. Although you can open WhatsApp from your browser or download the desktop version of the app, you can only make and receive mobile calls. You need to create an account on the app (and if you're smart, secure it properly) to use it.
One of the disadvantages of group calls on WhatsApp is that you cannot switch group calls between audio and video only once you start the conversation. To switch, you need to hang up and start the conversation again.
Although the interface looks a bit different on Android than on iOS, the basic steps for group conversations are the same. Here is a step-by-step guide for making group calls on WhatsApp:
From the "Calls" section:
- Go to "Calls" by clicking the phone button at the bottom of the screen
- Tap the button with a phone and a plus sign in the top right corner of the screen
- Click on "New Group Call"
- This will open a list of your contacts. You can search them by typing the names of the people you want to add into the search bar at the top. Add people to the conversation by clicking on the circles next to their name.
- Tap the phone button to start an audio call or the video button to start a video call.
From a group chat:
- Click on "Chats" at the bottom of your screen and then select a group conversation to open it
- Click on the button with a phone and a plus sign in the top right corner
- The names of the members of the group chat will appear Select who you want to add to the conversation by tapping the circles next to their name
- Tap the video button to start a video call or the phone button to start an audio call start
You can also add more people to a conversation, one conversation Here's how:
- Tap "Chats" in the bottom right corner of your screen and then click on a conversation to open it
- Tap the phone button in the top right corner to start an audio call or the video button start a video call
- After the person who called you has answered, click the button with a person and a plus sign in the top right corner t add conversation
- This will list your contacts. To quickly find someone, type the name of who you want to add to the conversation in the search bar at the top, which filters the contacts list. Click on the name of the person you want to add.
- You may also get a pop-up window asking if you want to add that person to a group conversation. Tap "Add" to let them join the conversation.
Vox Media has partnerships with partners. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media may earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. For more information, see our ethics policy .