The first few years of Instagram's existence it was difficult to hide stories from people. You had to dig into the settings of a separate story and select followers to hide it from. If you then wanted to show those followers the following story, you had to go to the settings of that story and undo the block.
But in 2018, Instagram launched the Good Friends feature, making it much easier to share content with a limited group. After you've created a good friend list, you can share stories with just that list. If you post content that may be controversial, personal or NSFW, the option can save you some stress.
The new accompanying app from Instagram, Threads, is specifically designed for sending messages to your close friends. When someone on your close friends gives you a list, you get the message in Threads instead of Instagram (if you've downloaded Threads, that is).
Threads has a number of useful functions that you cannot access via Instagram. You can immediately send photos to good friends with camera shortcuts and set emoji statuses to let everyone know what you are up to. (An Auto Status feature can also set your status for you based on your location and battery level.)
If you don't know how to add people to your friends list, we'll show you how to get started. You can do it via Instagram or via Threads.
How to add good friends in the Instagram app
- Open the Instagram app for Android or iOS.
- Tap your avatar in the lower right corner.
- If you do not have a good friends list yet, you will see a screen with the & # 39; Getting Started & # 39; button. Tap it. That leads to a list of suggestions with which people can start your list, along with a link for information about how it works. When you have chosen your first list, tap "Create List".
- When you select "Close friends", you will see your current list of close friends. Tap Add at the top right. Search for the friend you want to add and press the Add button next to their name.
How Instagram add good friends in the Threads app
- If you want, you can add good friends in the Instagram Threads app. Open Threads to get started and make sure you are signed in to the correct account.
- Tap the menu button in the upper left corner of the home screen.
- Select & # 39; Choose close friends & # 39; on the top of the list.
- You see your current list of good friends. (If you are starting a new list, you must select three or more friends in Threads.) Use the search bar at the top to find the friend you want to add and tap the empty circle next to their name.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. See our ethical policy for more information.