While Zoom remains popular for its ease of use and features such as the ability to use different wallpapers, it’s not the only video conferencing app that lets you do those things. For example, you can also customize your meeting background with the Microsoft Teams Office communications app. Here we show you how to change your background for a Teams video conference.
To select a background before officially starting the meeting:
Start your Teams video meeting. You are on the intermediate screen.
- Make sure video is enabled in the toolbar at the bottom of the screen, then enable the background settings control (located between the video and audio controls)
- If you want to add your own image, click the “Add New” link at the top of the column. You can then choose an image from your computer’s files, which will be added to the available wallpapers.
- If you change your wallpaper, the change will remain in effect in your other meetings until you change it again.
If you’ve already started the meeting (or you’ve joined someone else’s meeting), you can still change your background.
- Click the three dots in the center of the toolbar at the bottom of the screen and select “Show Background Effects.” You get the same ‘Background Settings’ column on the right, with the same option to blur, change, or add a new one your background.
- If you are in the middle of a meeting and want to test the background, click “Preview” in the “Background Settings” column. You can see the effect in a small window at the bottom of the column; no one else in your congregation will see it.
- When you are happy with your new background, click ‘Apply’ (or select ‘Stop Preview’ if you want to revert to your previous background)
Update January 5, 2021, 2:30 PM ET: This article was originally published on April 14, 2020 and has been modified to include updates in the software.