More than six years in the current console generation, the PlayStation 3 is anything but extinct. Players have few reasons to break out of their PS3 (unless they need too much paperweight). However, if you have a game-worthy PC, those old DualShock 3 controllers can be used properly. With a few minutes and a mini USB cable – which you can get about five dollars on Amazon – you can synchronize your PS3 controller with your PC. If that interests you, we've merged the guide below so that you can use the mouse and keyboard for something more traditional. Follow the steps below to connect a PS3 controller to your PC.
Step 1: Update Drivers & # 39; s and .NET Framework
- Connect your PlayStation 3 controller to your PC via USB and Windows should start installing a first set of drivers & # 39; s.
- Check your currently installed drivers by opening Command Prompt and typing "driver query" and typing . Enter .
- Check if you have the official Xbox 360 PC driver, .NET Framework 4.0 and Visual C ++ (201
Step 2: Download and install SCP driver package
- Go to the official SCP Toolkit download thread and click on the green link to download the latest stable release. If you use an older version of Windows, you need a tool such as 7-Zip to extract the files; Windows 10 has a native decompression tool.
- Unpack the executable file – "ScToolkit_Setup.exe" and start it as an administrator to install the software.
- After the installation you will be asked to open the program. actually install additional driver & # 39; s (it sounds more complicated than it is). If you do not see this prompt, search for "Scp" and select ScpToolkit driver installation program .
- Run the installation program and a new window will open. Make sure all boxes are checked, including Force driver installation .
- Choose from the DualShock 3 drop-down menu, locate and select your DualShock 3 controller. If you also plan to use a DualShock 4 or a Bluetooth dongle to enable wireless playback, select it too.
- Click on Install . All required files are installed and configured automatically. Once completed, your DualShock 3 is now plug and play, which means that you can connect it at any time and should work automatically.
Note: from January 2018, ScpToolkit is no longer active in development. Future Windows updates can make an ineffective solution. However, from now on it is still a viable option.
Something to keep in mind: since you are technically using the Xbox 360 driver to communicate with the PS3 controller, games are likely to display an Xbox control scheme. So if a game wants you to press & # 39; X & # 39 ;, you want to press the square button instead.
Step 3: Create a profile
Your DualShock 3 is currently ready for use. However, if you are so inclined, you can fine tune your controller through various applications that came with the ScpToolkit.
- With Profile Manager you can make custom button assignments that you can switch between immediately. You can also make cards for your keyboard and mouse.
- With Settings manager you can even fine-tune the sensitivity of your thumbstick, the rumble, the controller latency and the LED screen to a large number of other advanced settings.  Troubleshooting for Windows 10
Windows 10 can be picky with controllers. The Microsoft operating system is, not surprisingly, designed to work with Xbox One accessories and the Xbox Live ecosystem: it is not naturally suitable for a Sony device, especially an outdated one. Although the ScpToolkit bypasses most of the problems that users may encounter when using the DualShock 3 on their PC, errors may occur during the installation process. Fortunately, there is a solution to allow the driver to be installed if the process did not go smoothly. However, it may be wise to back up important files before proceeding, even if the procedure is not necessarily dangerous. You will nevertheless change the Windows startup settings.
- Start by pressing the Start button, or the Windows key.
- Go to Settings .
- Click on Update and security .
- Select Restore in the left list.
- Click on Advanced Restart.
- Wait now. Your system will be restarted and restarted in a mode that allows you to change your firmware and boot settings, allowing you to bypass the maintenance of the driver's signature.
- Select Troubleshooting in the resulting list of options.  Click Advanced Settings, and then Startup Settings . This will initiate a new restart.
- After your system has restarted, you have another set of options to choose from. Search Turn off driver signature enforcement, and then press the F7 key to restart your PC for the last time.
- If your PC has been restarted, follow the procedures described above to reinstall and configure Scptoolkit.