If you have Apple AirPods, you probably paired it with an iPhone. But what if you want to use them with one of Apple’s computers instead? Don’t worry – it’s an easy process, especially if you’re already using the true wireless earbuds with an iPhone. Here’s how to connect AirPods (including the AirPods Pro) to your Mac.
How to Connect AirPods to Your Mac
If you’ve never connected the AirPods to any device other than your Mac before, you should know how to get started. Fortunately, it’s only a little more involved than linking to an iPhone or iPad. Follow these procedures and your earbuds will be ready to use in no time.
- Open your AirPods case with the caps still in.
- Press and hold the button on the back of the case until the status light flashes white.
- Go to your Mac and choose the Apple menu, then System Preferences, then Bluetooth.
- Choose the AirPods from the list and click Connect.
- If you have 2019 AirPods or newer, click Enable to enable hands-free “Hey Siri” commands.
- When asked about how to improve Siri and Dictation, choose either Share Audio Recordings or Don’t Share Audio Recordings, depending on your comfort level.
If your AirPods are connected to another Apple device
Don’t worry about connecting AirPods to your Mac if you’ve already paired them with another Apple device, such as an iPhone, iPad, or Apple Watch. Once you’ve done that, the earbuds will pair with your Mac almost automatically, as long as it supports Handoff (on OS X Yosemite and above) and you’re signed in to the same Apple ID on both devices. There are just a few steps to switch connections:
- Open your AirPods case.
- Click the volume icon in your Mac’s menu bar and click the AirPods.