One of the best things about Google Chrome is the robust catalog with extensions. The new version of Microsoft's Edge browser, which has just been launched for Windows 10, macOS and mobile, is based on the same Chromium code base and can also use the Chrome web store. This means that it supports the same huge selection of extensions, in addition to its own relatively limited selection of native extensions that are available through the store.
In this article I will walk you through how you install extensions in Edge and make sure you are finally set up with Chrome extensions. Accessing Chrome's extensions means taking a few extra steps. But overall this is a simple and fast operation that makes Microsoft's improved browser feel at home ̵
The first step is to download Microsoft & # 39; s Edge if you have not already done so. When you have done that, continue.
Find the extension menu
- After opening Edge, click the ellipses on the right side of the browser window next to the profile photo
- with the extended menu drop-down menu, select "Extensions", which is located approximately halfway through the list with options is available
Downloading Edge Extensions from Microsoft
After you click "Extensions", a new tab will open in Edge. You can search for Edge extensions in Microsoft's Store, although, as mentioned earlier, the selection is missing. (The add-ons are apparently still in beta.) Still, it is easy to install extensions from this source if you find something you want.
- To open the Microsoft selection, click on "Get Extensions from Microsoft Store" in the left column of the "Extensions" tab or the link to the right
- When you have found a desired extension, click " Get "on the page and it will be added to the browser
Enable Google Chrome extensions
Let's face it, you'll probably be better suited to access Google's extensive catalog of extensions, so let's get you lead there.
- Make sure you use Edge & # 39; s extension to install external extensions. tab described above. Invert the switch next to the "Allow extensions from other stores" option at the bottom left of the screen.
- After you have turned it on, you must confirm in a pop-up window that you actually want to do this. You are going to install extensions that are not technically made for Edge and this can affect performance, Microsoft claims. Press "Allow" to continue.
- If you activate this option, you can install Chrome extensions.
Navigate to Google's Chrome Web Store
- You can find the full Google Chrome extensions repository on this page. (If the link does not open in Edge, you can easily perform a search in the Chrome Web Store.)
- As you add more extensions to Edge, they fill the Extensions
- page to watch out: currently working the color theme & # 39; s of Google Chrome (found in the Chrome Web Store under the & # 39; Extensions & # 39; link) not with Edge. That may change, but currently only extensions work.
- If you ever need to remove or disable individual extensions, go to the "Extensions" tab again. There you will find them sorted by the places where you downloaded them. The approved extensions from Microsoft and the extensions from Chrome are each in their own section.
I have installed some of my favorite Chrome extensions on Edge and so far things are working as expected.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. See our ethics policy for more information .