Minecraft continues to appeal to gamers more than a decade after its initial release. The open world title features dozens of unique biomes to explore, hundreds of items to collect, and crowds of Creepers to compete with. While the game is fun in itself, players keep coming back after all these years with the option to introduce their own mods.
The process of installing mods is much easier than in the past, all thanks to a piece of software called Forge. In short, Forge lets you quickly install mods on a specific Minecraft profile without having to be a tech savvy wizard. In a few short steps you can get mods to work in your own game ̵
The first thing you & # 39; I want to make sure Java is installed on your computer. If not, go to the official Java website and click the button Java Download . From there you will be asked to accept a few agreements and the installation will begin. Then follow the clear instructions to complete the download and close your browser. You don't need to do anything else with Java right now – we'll get to that later.
Once Java is installed, you can proceed and run Minecraft . We recommend that you log into your account and actually jump into a procedurally generated world to make sure the game is working properly before messing with Forge. If you are using Minecraft make sure that all necessary folder locations are created on your computer before attempting to install Forge. If you don't run Minecraft before downloading Forge, you will encounter several errors when trying to install mods later.
You & # 39; If you have installed Java, you have run Minecraft and now it is time to start installing Forge. Navigate to the official website and you will be greeted with various installation options. Here's what to do:
- In the Recommended Download section, select Installer .
- If you are using a firewall, you may have to bypass the security setting. Rest assured – your computer is safe!
- Once the download is complete, there should be a new file on your computer with a filename similar to "forge-1.15.2-31.1.0-installer.jar".
- Now that Java is installed on your computer, you should be able to click on the file and run it.
- This will open the Mod System Installer, which will guide you through the process of setting up Forge on your system.  Make a note of the file path specified in the installer. You will need this later. Then select Install client and press OK .
- When you're done, go through the prompts and the Forge installer should close.
That's it for installing Forge! However, you have to check if it is installed correctly – and you still have to add all your mods to it.
Run Minecraft a second time
First check Minecraft to make sure that Forge is running. This is a simple process:
- Open Minecraft .
- Navigate to the tab Installations .
- Along with Latest release there would also be an option called Forge .
- To play Minecraft with your mods, hover over the option Forge and click Play .
- Then log in with your normal login details.
If you can login with the Forge installation, it means you are ready to join the wild world of modded Minecraft . If you don't see the Forge option under Installations try to run the Forge installation again. Remember that you want to select Install Client not Install Server, and make sure to download the recommended version of Forge.
Once Forge is set up correctly, adding mods is an easy process. There are tons of websites offering mods, but not all of them are compatible with Forge – or possibly even your specific version of Minecraft . We highly recommend using Curse Forge as it is a reliable source that is safe and secure compatible with all your software. Here's how to install mods with Forge:
- Navigate to Curse Forge and browse the mod lists until you find one you like.
- Download the file associated with your current version of Minecraft . If in doubt, start with the most recent file – it is likely that your game will automatically update to the latest software.
- As with Forge, bypass all security features implemented by your firewall to complete the download process.
- You should now have a .jar file type saved on your computer. This is your new mod!
- Take this file and move it to the Mods folder that you learned during the installation of Forge. By default, this file path is set to C:> Users> Username> AppData> Roaming> .minecraft.
- Note: Some of the above folders are hidden on Windows 10. If you need help opening hidden files, be sure to check out our -depth tutorial
Once your files have been moved to the Mods folder, you are ready to jump into the new and improved Minecraft ! Make sure to play under the Forge installation or your mods won't load properly.
Enjoy your newly modified game
Running mods in Minecraft is not a difficult process, but it takes some time. The above process works on operating systems in addition to Windows 10, although you may need to follow specific instructions for your software when it comes to opening and running each file. You will also need to carefully keep track of where your files are stored as it will be different from PC users.
Forge makes it easy to play Minecraft with mods, but it makes it even easier to deactivate them. If you don't want to completely remove the mod from your computer, simply type & # 39; .disabled & # 39; at the end of the file name to disable it. If you then want to reactivate it, remove & # 39; .disabled & # 39; from the file name.