Minecraft users don't like hearing what they can and cannot build in their blocky virtual sandbox. Currently the best-selling game of all time, the heat title probably isn't going anywhere anytime soon. It's as quirky as it is addictive, with highly customizable gameplay and features that have paved the way for a deluge of customizations that take game and player performance in any number of directions. Fortunately, the benevolent Minecraft community has made quite a few mods since the game's release in 2009, albeit with increasing complexity and Lego-like worship with every passing update. And thanks to a ton of custom mod launchers, using them has never been easier.
Here's our guide to installing Minecraft mods for every single platform ̵
[ Author's Note: This is a general overview of installing Minecraft mods, not a comprehensive guide. Installation can vary from mod to mod, so follow the download and installation instructions usually found online next to the download options.]
Install Minecraft mods on Windows and Mac
There are a few different ways to get mods running with Minecraft but the easiest and most popular method requires an application called Forge. Here's how it works:
- Go to the official Forge website and download the Recommended version of the software. You can also install the latest version of Forge, but there may be some unresolved bugs that affect your ability to run some mods correctly.
- Download the mods you want to install from a reliable source. CurseForge is a popular venue with hundreds of great mods to choose from. A quick note: Not all mods are compatible with all versions of Minecraft or even Forge. Make sure to do a little research on the specific mod you're interested in and see if it's usable with your software.
- Move the file from the mod to the folder Minecraft . If you need help with this step, please refer to this manual, which shows you how to locate folders on your computer.
- Run Minecraft but first make sure your Forge account is active. If not, your mods won't load properly.
That's all! As we mentioned, there are several other mod launchers on the internet besides Forge – like LiteLoader – so you can always shop around if you don't like everything it has to offer. That said, it's the most popular for a reason and most of the new mods are usually compatible with the software.
Installing Mods Minecraft on Xbox One and PlayStation 4
Unfortunately mods that don't exist Technically  for Minecraft on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 instead players access to add-ons. Unlike mods, these add-ons are not free and are very limited compared to PC mods. However, they are still better than nothing and they are incredibly easy to install.
- To purchase an add-on, load Minecraft on your console and navigate to the option "Store"
- Then make your selection and check out. Your add-on is now available for use.
Install Minecraft mods on iOS and Android
Like consoles, the handheld versions of Minecraft do not allow real mods. Fortunately, there is still a way to get add-ons using third-party apps called Mods for Minecraft PE, BlockLauncher and Addons for Minecraft. Here's how it works:
- Install BlockLauncher from the Google Play Store.
- Follow the instructions provided by BlockLauncher to set up the software for your specific device.
- Install Mods for Minecraft PE from the Google Play Store.
- Search or browse the hundreds of mods until you find one you like.
- Click the Install button and it will be automatically applied to your game.
iOS and Android
- Install add-ons for Minecraft from the App Store or Google Play Store.
- Follow the simple on-screen instructions to select and install add-ons.  Customizing your game is easier now than ever in the past. During your lunch break, take a few minutes to check out all the cool new content available for Minecraft – we're sure you'll find something that catches your attention.