If you are using an iPhone or Mac and want to cast a video from a specific app on your iPhone or Mac to your TV, you can use AirPlay. However, if you want to cast your entire screen – with any windows or applications you may have open – then you want to use mirroring.
You can mirror your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or Mac screen to an Apple TV or an AirPlay 2 compatible smart TV. (These are the system requirements.) The screen mirroring requirements are similar to those for AirPlay: make sure your device is up to date and connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV.
Below & # 39; I'll walk you through the steps to mirror your screen.
Mirror your iPhone screen:
These instructions are for iPhones, but the steps for an iPad or iPod touch are similar.
- Open Control Center by swiping up (iPhone 8 or earlier) or swiping down from the top right corner (iPhone X or higher)
- Tap "Screen Mirroring" (on iPad, tap "AirPlay")
- Select the device you want to use from the drop-down list (on an iPad, you must enable "Mirroring" after this step)
- You may get a pop-up window asking for a code. Enter the code displayed on your TV here.
- Now you mirror your iPhone screen. To exit the Screen Mirroring window, tap anywhere on the screen outside that window and do the same to exit the Control Center. If you have an iPhone 8 or lower, you can also press the home button twice.
- To stop mirroring your screen, open the Control Center, tap the Screen Mirroring button (it should now be highlighted and display the name of the device you are mirroring), then tap "Stop Mirroring" at the bottom of the window that opens. (On an iPad, tap the AirPlay button, turn off Mirroring, and then tap "iPad" in the list of devices.)
Mirror your Mac screen:
- Click the AirPlay button in the menu bar, at the top right corner. corner of the screen. (If you don't see the AirPlay button, turn it on. See the instructions below.)
- Select the device you want to cast to
- You may be asked to enter your TV code. Enter that code in the window that appears on your Mac.
- You should now be mirroring your Mac screen. You have a number of options to adjust the screen's proportions and you can access them via the AirPlay button in the menu bar. Click on "Mirror Built-In Display" to let your TV adjust the screen to the proportions of your Mac screen. Click "Mirror Apple TV" to make the display on your Mac match the proportions of the TV display.
- Click the AirPlay button again to disable Screen Mirroring. Then click on "Disable AirPlay".
Enable AirPlay on your Mac
If you don't see the AirPlay button in the menu bar at the top of your screen, you need to enable it. Here's how:
- Click the Apple button in the menu bar at the top left corner of your screen
- Click "System Preferences"
- Click "Displays"
- Make sure "Show mirror options in the menu bar when available ”is selected
That is the basis of mirroring your iPhone or Mac screen. If you don't have to cast the whole screen, Use AirPlay to stream videos from individual apps on your iPhone, Mac or Windows PC to your TV.