If yourcan protect your laptop and telephone from prying eyes, why would it not protect your Xbox either? Whether it's gaming, streaming from Hulu and Netflix using a built-in browser or all of the above, more people are turning to their Xbox consoles as a full-service, large-screen entertainment center. And that means a greater need for privacy on your game console.
Investing in a VPN to protect the privacy of your Xbox offers a whole range of benefits: you can more easily participate in games on servers around the world, geo-blocking restrictions on YouTube and Netflix content and bypass any obscureyour internet provider is trying to pull.
Best of all, setting up a VPN on Xbox is easier than you may think. Here's how to do it.
What you need
VPN service : If you already have a VPN service, that's one thing less. If you don't do that, here are three VPNs that work well with Xbox. Your VPN service gives you the information you need to enter when you connect to your router: IP address, subnet mask, and VPN login details.
Router access : you must log in to your home. If you've never done it before, it's pretty simple and you only need the login information ̵
Connect the router with the VPN
1. Log in to your router according to the documentation instructions. Usually this means opening a web browser and typing the IP address of your router in the URL bar to go to the router's login screen. Here you need the username and password mentioned above.
2. After you have logged in, look for a tab or screen with the text Control Panel . If you don't see one, look for a network settings tab. These are usually referred to as Network or Basic but can also be called Settings or Network / WAN setting . Although the interfaces of all routers will be a bit different, almost all of them have a clearly labeled section where you can tell your router how to talk to the rest of the internet in the world.
You know that you are in the right place when you see text input fields under a heading with the text DHCP . The text fields are labeled IP address Subnet mask and Gateway address .
3. Once you are in the network settings of your router, tell your router to talk to your VPN. Here you need the information from your VPN service that I mentioned above. Every Xbox-enabled VPN has its own preferred installation method here, so contact your VPN company if necessary.
4. Remember to save the changes you have made to the router connection information before you exit.
Connect the Xbox to the router
The most reliable way to connect the Xbox to the router at this time is of course via an Ethernet cable, but jumping back on your now VPN-protected wireless network is easy.
1. Start up the Xbox, then press the Xbox button and go to Settings .
2. Select Network under the settings.
3. Select Set up wireless network .
4. When prompted by the Xbox, select your home wireless network from a list that it can detect. Then jump on your wifi with your normal password. Voila. And just like that, for all eyes from outside, your Xbox should now be in another country thanks to your VPN and a blacksmith of elbow grease.
For more information, seeand .