Which network is it? What is the password? How do you spell that?
If you look like us, you have often heard those questions from guests at home or at work. You probably have the answers in memory, or you may have written them on a map for this precise situation. With Android 10 there is another, easier way to share the relevant information with someone and you don't have to remember details or spell a password. Google has added a quick shortcut option to generate a QR code that you can display with a tap on your phone screen. Visitors can then scan the code on their phone to connect directly to your network.
Although you need a phone with Android 1
How to make a QR code for your WiFi network
We have used a Pixel 4 for this manual. If you have a phone with Android 10 and want to try this, this is as follows:
- Pull down the notification shadow and long press the Wi-Fi icon or tap Settings> Network and internet> Wi -Fi .
- Tap the network for which you want to share details, most likely the network you are currently connected to.
- Tap the option Share that has a QR code icon.
- You may have to confirm that it is you with a face or fingerprint scan, or a pin code or pattern, then your phone should display a QR code on the screen with the password below it.
Note : You do not necessarily need Android 10 for this; our Samsung Galaxy S10 with Android 9.0 Pie, for example, has a similar function. Simply pull the notification shadow down, long press on the WiFi icon and tap on the network you want to share and you should see a QR code at the top of the page.
How to scan a QR code and become a member of a Wi-Fi network
Although not all phones can generate a QR code for network settings, most can read one. There is a QR reader built into the camera app for most Android phones and all iPhones with iOS 11 or higher. Here's how to use it and what to do if it doesn't work:
- Open the camera app and hold your phone above the QR code for a few seconds.
- You should see a link or a pop-up notification on the screen with the name of the network you are trying to join and you can easily tap it to log in to that Wi-Fi network.
If it does not work on your Android phone, but you have Android 10, try this:
- Pull down the notification shadow and hold down the Wi-Fi icon or tap Settings> Network and internet> Wi-Fi .
- At the bottom of the list is an option with the text Add network with a blue QR code icon on the right. Tap this and align the scanner.
If it didn't work and you have a phone with an older version of Android, try this:
- Open the camera app settings and look for an option to enable Google Lens or Suggestions from Google Lens and try again.
- If that doesn't work, you can install the Google Lens app and scan the QR code with it.
- If you prefer something else, install an app such as QR Code Reader and use it to scan the QR Code.