Whether you shop online or at your favorite local store, you are likely to use a credit or debit card to make your purchase. If you are someone who prefers to use a credit or debit card for purchases, Apple Pay may be the perfect solution. With Apple Pay you can save your frequently used credit cards, debit cards and reward cards on your favorite Apple device.
If you are new to Apple Pay or just have questions about the service, we have you covered. Here you can read how to set up and use Apple Pay for online and in-store purchases.
Supported Apple Pay devices
Apple Pay is supported on most devices – iPhone models from the iPhone SE to the current iPhone 1
Banks that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by most financial institutions and credit card companies in the American Apple offering an up-to-date list of all financial institutions that accept Apple Pay.
Stores, websites and apps that support Apple Pay
Apple Pay is supported by hundreds of brands and websites, including 7-Eleven, GameStop, Etsy, Staples, Fandango, with more and more being added. You can find the current list of supported retailers here, or visit our extensive list of companies that accept Apple Pay here. You can also use Apple Pay with many third-party apps. You can view some of those apps here. Of course, if you buy apps or other digital items from Apple, you can always use Apple Pay to buy music, movies, apps, books and more.
Setting up Apple Pay
You can add eight cards to Apple Pay on all your different supported devices. If you want to use Apple Pay with more than one device, you must add your card information to each device separately.
Add maps to iPhone and iPad
- Open the Wallet app on your iPhone. On your iPad, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay. Tap the plus sign and then tap Continue to start adding your credit or debit card to Apple Pay. Add credit or debit card .
- Place the card in the frame to add the card. The app automatically scans the front of your card to get your number and records it on the Card Details page. Tap Next .
- Use the scroll wheel to record the expiration date of your card and enter the security code.
- Tap Next .
- The Add Card screen is displayed when Apple Pay communicates with your bank to verify your card. When it is finished, you will receive a page with General Terms and Conditions that you must agree to.
- The Add Card page and a card verification page appear one after the other with your e-mail address and telephone number.
- You have the option of verifying your card by telephone or completing verification later.
- You may be asked to contact your bank to complete the verification process. One verification is complete, tap Next and you are all set to use Apple Pay.
- A set of instructions is displayed explaining how to use Apple Pay with card readers. Tap Continue .
- You can continue to add your map to your Apple Watch by tapping Add now . If you do not want to add an Apple Watch, tap Done .
Verification can be a short phone call to your bank and a conversation with a person who will appear in the app. It took less than five minutes to place my bank card in Apple Pay and on my watch. A message appears on your watch once the verification is confirmed.
How to add cards to your M ac
To add a card to Apple Pay, you must use a Mac model with Touch ID. On Mac models without a built-in Touch ID, you purchase your item with Apple Pay on your iPhone or Apple Watch.
On your iPhone, go to Settings> Wallet and Apple Pay> Allow payments on Mac and turn the controller on.
How to add cards to your Mac with Touch ID
- Go to System Preferences> Wallet & Apple Pay and tap Add Card .  Follow the steps to add a new map. If you are prompted to add the card that you use with your Apple ID, enter the security code.
- Tap Next . Your bank or card issuer will verify your details and decide whether you can add your card to Apple Pay. If your bank or publisher needs more information to verify your card, they will ask for it. When you have the information, go back to System Preferences> Wallet and Apple Pay and tap your card.
- After your bank or publisher has verified your card, tap Next . You can then start using Apple Pay.
Adding maps to Apple Watch
- To add a map to your Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone. Go to the My watch tab and select the watch that you will use with Apple Pay. Tap Wallet and Apple Pay> Add card.
- You may be asked to set an access code. Do that. You can choose a simple four-digit access code or you can choose to unlock the watch with your iPhone as long as you wear it. A Data erase switch wipes your watch after 10 false access codes. Wrist detection locks your watch when you are not wearing it to protect your data.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to add your card or enter the security code associated with the card you are already using with iTunes. Adding a new card to your watch is essentially the same as the steps described above for your iPhone. The app stores your card number and asks for the expiration date and security code.
- Tap Next and your information will be verified and you will be asked to approve the terms and conditions. Tap Agreement .
- The card verification sheet appears and you can choose your bank to complete the process or complete the verification later.
- In some cases, your bank may need more information. Check Call the bank and tap Next .
- After your information has been verified, tap Next to complete the installation process. You will be notified that your card is now ready for use on your watch.
How to use reward cards
You can also add different reward cards to the Wallet app for use with Apple Pay. Instead of Add credit or debit card you want to add it as one of your passes instead. Once added, you can have it appear automatically in a store by opening the Wallet app, tapping the map and the icon " i " and enabling Automatic selection.
If you are having trouble adding a card to one of your devices, try restarting your device. Then check whether the latest version of iOS, WatchOS or MacOS is running. Also consider removing and re-adding the card.
Using Apple Pay in apps
A growing number of apps are accepting Apple Pay. You will know if you can use the service when you see the button when checking out, or Apple Pay is one of the optional payment methods.
- To pay, tap the button that appears at checkout or simply select Apple Pay as your preferred payment method.
- If you want to pay with a different card, tap the> icon next to your standard card.
- Drop your finger on Touch ID on your iPhone or iPad to confirm the payment. Double-click the Apple Watch on the side button. When the payment process is complete, you will see the same confirmation Ready and a check mark.
How to use Apple Pay in stores
It is easy to find stores that accept Apple Pay. Apple Pay-friendly stores have a logo on the door or at the register at the contactless reader. If you want to use Apple Pay in stores, you must have your iPhone or Apple Watch available. You can pay with your access code if you have not set up Touch ID.
- If you have an iPhone with Touch ID, place your finger on the Touch ID scanner and hold the phone within an inch of the reader until you see Ready and a check mark. To use another card, tap the default card when it appears before you authenticate with Face ID.
- Double tap for iPhone X and later models on the side button and take a look at your phone. Hold your phone close to the contactless reader until you see Ready and a check mark. If you want to use a different card, hold your phone to the reader without placing your finger on Touch ID. When your card appears, you can tap it to swap it with another card in your wallet. Once your card has been selected, place your finger on Touch ID to complete the payment.
- To pay with your Apple Watch, double-click the side button and hold the watch to the reader until you see the word Ready. and the check mark. To swap cards on the Apple Watch, double-click the side button before holding it to the reader. When your standard card appears, swipe left or right to switch cards. Hold your watch with the reader to complete your payment.
If you are asked to choose between credit or debit, choose credit. If you are asked for the last four digits on the card, use your device account number instead. To find this on your iPhone, open the Wallet app, choose your card and tap the "i" icon. For the Apple Watch, open the Watch app on your iPhone and then tap Wallet & Apple Pay > your card .
Using Apple Pay in Safari
Using Apple Pay in Safari is simple, but you still need an iPhone, iPad, or Mac that supports the feature .
Make a payment with an iPhone, iPad or a MacBook Pro with Touch ID
- Tap the button Apple Pay or Buy with Apple Pay .
- Check your billing, shipping, and other information again. If you want to use a different card on an iPhone or iPad, tap> next to the selected card. To use a different card on the MacBook Pro, press the up or down arrows next to the current card.
- When you are ready to confirm and pay for your purchase: leave your finger on the iPhone and iPad on the Touch ID scanner. If payment is accepted, you will see Done and a check mark. On the MacBook Pro you get steps to follow on the Touch Bar. Rest your finger on the Touch ID sensor, just like on an iOS device. If Touch ID is disabled, tap the Apple Pay icon and you will be prompted to enable the feature. When your payment is complete, you will see a known message and a check mark.
Making a payment with Mac
This is almost the same as using Apple Pay on a MacBook Pro, apart from a few small details.
- Log in to the same iCloud account as your iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch
- Turn on Bluetooth for your Mac to use a credit or debit card that is added to your iOS device or Apple Watch.
- Tap the Buy with Apple Pay or Apple Pay button, then check your information or change cards as you would on a MacBook Pro.
- Place your finger on the Touch ID sensor of your iPhone or double-click the side button on the Apple Watch. When your payment is successful, you will receive a message and a check mark.
how to check your transaction history
You can check your recent transactions by opening the Wallet app. Initially, only the last transaction with a card is shown. To see more, tap the map and the "i" icon, followed by the Transactions tab.
Recommendations from editors