Here’s how to do it.
What you need to turn your GoPro into a webcam
You have a– the latest version of the popular solid camera, released in 2019. You can pick one up . You also need a USB-C cable (there is one that comes with the camera that works) to connect the camera to your computer.
For the initial setup, you will need a microSD card and card reader to update your camera. If your computer doesn’t have a built-in USB port, you also need a dongle.
This trick currently only works for Mac users, although a Windows version is in development.
Finally, you’ll need something to mount your GoPro to use as a webcam. You have a lot of options here that you can buy from GoPro like the($ 49.99), the ($ 24.99) or the ($ 39.99).
It’s not required, but it’s so useful($ 19.95 on Amazon) gives you access to the camera’s USB port while covering the battery and SD card, so you don’t have to worry about something going out while in webcam mode .
How to turn your GoPro into a webcam
Here are the step-by-step instructions on how to update your Hero8 camera to a webcam, according to GoPro.
Step 1: Update your camera
1. Download the GoPro Webcam Beta Firmware to your computer. (This download contains the update folder that will update your camera to support the webcam function.)
2. Insert the microSD card from your camera into your computer using a microSD card adapter or USB reader.
3. Transfer the update file to your microSD card. To do this, open a new Finder window and select Downloads on the left to find the UPDATE.zip file. Double-click the UPDATE.zip file, which will create an UPDATE folder.
4. In the Devices section of the sidebar, look for your microSD card, which will show as Untitled. Drag the UPDATE folder to your microSD card.
5. Eject your microSD card by selecting the eject icon.
6. Update your camera: Make sure your camera is turned off. Insert your microSD card and turn it on. The camera automatically starts updating, beeps and turns itself off several times. When it is done, you will see a check mark on the front screen. (If you get a message that the update has failed, remove and reinsert the battery and restart the update from the beginning.)
Step 2: Install the GoPro Webcam App and connect your camera
1. Download GoPro Webcam Desktop Utility and install the software on your computer. You will see a GoPro icon in the status bar.
2. Turn on your camera and connect it to your computer with the USB cable. In the status bar you will see that the GoPro icon shows a blue dot, which means that you have connected. You will also see the camera enter USB mode, with a red light and a picture of a USB cable appearing on the screen.
Step 3: Preview your webcam
To preview what your webcam settings will look like, click the GoPro icon in the status bar and click Show preview. This will help you make sure your photo looks good before you start webcamming. You can also switch between mirror mode and flip mode, whichever you prefer.
Step 4: Start your GoPro webcam
Open the video chat service you want to use. GoPro’s webcam software is compatible with Zoom, Google Meet, Microsoft Teams, Skype, Twitch, BlueJeans, GoTo Meeting, Snap Camera and Facebook Rooms. It is also compatible with YouTube Live and Webex if you are using a Google Chrome browser.
When you open your video chat service, select GoPro as your favorite camera. That may be an option when you first sign in, or you may need to go to Settings to do so. For example, in Zoom, go to the Start Video icon at the bottom of the screen, click the up arrow and select GoPro camera. If you don’t see the GoPro camera option right away, you may need to quit and restart the video chat app.
Once the webcam is running, the GoPro icon in the status bar will show a red dot to indicate that it is on.
Step 5: Perfect your webcam settings
Now that your webcam is active, you can make adjustments.
Resolution: To change the resolution, click the GoPro icon in the status bar and select Preferences. You can switch from 1080p (default) to 720p if you wish.
Field of view: To adjust your field of view, you can switch to different digital lenses. Click the GoPro icon in the status bar and select Digital lens. Choose from wide, narrow or linear lenses.
There are plenty of other ways to use the equipment you already have, such as yourand . Once you’ve started your installation, you can also use the , or just .