After years of hype and waiting, Disney + is finally here. The streaming video service debuted on November 12 and despite a rocky start, filled with glitches and substantive criticism, Disney claims that more than 10 million accounts have been created so far. But that number could be larger. It appears that although Disney + supports a huge number of streaming devices and smart TV & # 39; s, there is one major player without a Disney + app: Vizio ̵
A 2019 M Quantum can & # 39; t even ChromeCast. Serious? It is not like Disney + just surfaced … we have been aware of it for months and months and months. You probably knew it and would have tested it in advance, right? Return this TV to Best Buy for a TCL!
& mdash; Phrosty (@ Phrosty23) November 13, 2019
How and why the number 2 TV & # 39; s seller in the US was left by Mickey Mouse is unknown, but the bottom line for owners of Vizio & # 39; s SmartCast TV & # 39; s is that there is currently no Disney + app, and therefore not an easy way to view the streaming service.
In a press release of November 19 sent by e-mail, Vizio stated that support for Disney + using the Chromecast feature will be available through a software rollout is expected to start early December. However, casting does not work for the time being and the company has not shared any details about when or when a native Disney + app would arrive for its smart TVs.
There is still a way to get Disney + on a Vizio TV, but it will only be an option if you have a newer Vizio model that is equipped with AirPlay 2 from Apple – and if you have an iOS device such as an iPhone or iPad or a Mac.
How do you play Disney + via AirPlay 2
- First make sure you have a Vizio TV that supports AirPlay 2. If you've bought your TV in the last three years, chances are it will, but here's the official list of models.
- Download and install the Disney + app on an iOS device if you have not already done so.
- Open the Disney + app and log in when prompted. You will probably see a Cast button on the right side of the home screen. Ignore it for now because it won't work with your Vizio TV until the promised software update in December.
- Do you not see an AirPlay button? We neither. Apparently you can't start AirPlay from the home screen.
- Select a movie or program to view and view on your device. Press pause as soon as it starts.
- You now see both a Cast button and an AirPlay button in the upper right corner.
- Tap the AirPlay button to open the list of available AirPlay 2 devices in your home network. Your Vizio Smart TV should be one of the options available.
- Select this and you must be good to go.
We have not fully tested this solution, but there may be some obstacles. If for some reason this process does not work, you may have to remain patient until December for the casting roll-out or for an indefinite period of time until the missing app is delivered.
Updated November 19, 2019 with a response from Vizio regarding Chromecast support for Disney +