With over 30 million subscribers to its on-demand and live TV subscriptions, Hulu is one of the largest and more recognizable streaming services out there. However, even with such a large subscriber base, Hulu isn’t immune to trouble. Let’s take a look at what to do if Hulu isn’t working well for you.
Read: Best movies on Hulu to watch and enjoy
Hulu not working: video problems
Whether you’re having buffering issues or can’t access Hulu’s website, there are several issues you can run into with video. Here are some specific video problems you may have and how to fix them.
Problems with buffering and playback
- Close the Hulu app. You can also force close the app on certain smart devices.
- Switch your device off and on again. You can also switch your modem and router off and on again, but this is not always necessary.
- Check and improve your connection. Hulu recommends speedof.me for speed tests. You can also contact your Internet Service Provider (ISP) if your speeds are too slow.
- Make sure your download speeds meet the requirements. Hulu requires a minimum of 1.5 Mbps and recommends 3Mbps for download speeds. For 4K video, the speeds should be 16 Mbps.
- Check for app and system updates. Make sure you have the latest version of Hulu and the latest OS version for your device.
- Clear cache and data. Lack of space can cause some problems, so delete the temporary files.
- Uninstall and reinstall Hulu. As a last resort, remove Hulu from your device and download it again.
Streaming issues on Hulu.com
- Check the system requirements. Your computer must be running Mac OS X 10.9 or later, Windows 10 or Chrome OS. Your browser must be Safari 11 or higher, Firefox 65 or higher, Chrome 69 or higher, or Microsoft Edge on Windows 10. Also make sure HTML5 is enabled.
- Check and improve your connection.
- Switch your device off and on again.
- Clear the browser cache. Browsers create temporary files that you can delete from time to time.
- Use a private or incognito window. These windows do not store cookies and cache files. It is also possible that you have an extension that is causing problems.
- Use a different browser. You may need to use a different browser to stream on the Hulu website.
Ad issues on Hulu.com
- Turn off ad blocking software. Most ad blockers allow you to whitelist certain websites so you can turn off ad blocking completely or allow only certain websites to show ads.
- Clear the browser cache. Force quit the browser from there and reopen it.
- Use a different browser.
Hulu not working: audio problems
It’s very annoying to watch a streaming video and hear nothing. Here are some audio problems and what you can do to fix them:
Problems with no audio, too loud or low audio, or out of sync audio
- Watch other shows or movies. You want to see if the audio problem is discernible in one video or in multiple videos.
- Check your audio settings. Make sure you don’t accidentally mute your audio and forget to unmute it. Also check whether the volume is too high or too low.
- Adjust the HDMI cable. In some cases, you can blame a faulty HDMI cable or port. Plug the HDMI cable into a different port on your TV or display to make sure. Use the same HDMI cable on another monitor as well and flip the ends of the HDMI cable.
- Do not use external speakers. The blame could also lie with the external speakers. Some devices or shows don’t support surround sound, so switch the audio settings to Stereo and disconnect the external speakers.
Problems with the audio in another language
- Check the language settings on Hulu. Some shows and movies support different languages. Make sure to choose the language you want by clicking or tapping the gear icon and selecting a language.
- Check the language settings on your device. Make sure your device language is the way you want it.
- Choose the correct show version. Some shows, such as South Park, have separate show pages for English and Spanish. Choose the version in the language in which you want to listen to the show.
These are some of the most common issues you may or may have encountered with Hulu. If you find that the steps are not working for you, please contact Hulu Customer Support. You can also visit the Hulu subreddit on Reddit to see if anyone is having similar issues.