If you have a Microsoft Excel sheet that you need someone to verify, confirm, or agree to, you can get it signed. Here we will show you how to add and modify a signature line on your Microsoft Excel spreadsheet.
We usually think of signature rules in terms of things like contracts, legal documents and real estate agreements. You can create these types of documents and request signatures with Microsoft Word. But with Excel̵
Open your Microsoft Excel workbook on Windows 10, as well as the sheet you want to use. At the time of writing, the Signature Line object is not available in Microsoft Excel online or for Mac.
Go to the Insert tab and click ‘Text’ on the right side of the ribbon. From the drop-down menu, choose ‘Signature Line’ and then ‘Microsoft Office Signature Line’.
A customization window will open where you can set the signature rule as desired. While each item is optional, you may find one or more benefits to the document requiring the signature.
- Proposed signer: Enter the name of the person who will sign the document.
- Proposed title of signatory: Enter the title or position of the person you expect to sign.
- Email address of the proposed signer: Enter the email address of the signer.
- Instructions for the signer: If you have special instructions, you can enter them here. You can also include details to verify the information, confidentiality or similar.
- Allow the signer to add comments in the signing window: Check the box to include this option if you want to allow notes, or you can ask them to leave some in the Signer Instructions area.
- Show signature date in signature line: It is common to include the date you sign a document, so you should definitely consider checking the box to include it.
When you have finished modifying these items, click “OK” to insert the signature line. You can then move the signature line by dragging the bounding box, or you can resize it by dragging an edge or a corner.
If you want to edit the above signature setup items after inserting the signature line, it is easy. Right-click on the signature line box on the sheet and choose ‘Set Signature’.
Now that you have the signature line in your Microsoft Excel sheet, you can save the workbook. Share or print it to get the signature.
RELATED: Sign PDF documents electronically without printing and scanning them
When you print the sheet, items such as the signer’s instructions are not displayed. These (along with the date they sign the document) are visible when the recipient digitally signs the document.
The next time you have a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet that needs a signature, remember how easy it is to insert a signature line.