As expected, Apple has today pushed iOS 14.3 to the masses, in line with the pumped-up release of Fitness +, Apple’s subscription service for users with Apple Watch. It’s also coming a day before the new AirPods Max arrives to buyers, and the iPhone needs iOS 14.3 to use all its features.
If you don’t plan on subscribing to Apple Fitness + or buying an expensive set of over-the-ear headphones, you should still update to iOS 14.3 as there are plenty of other features you’ll love.
For those using the Shortcuts app, there are two exciting options for your shortcuts. First, it improves how custom app icons open on the home screen, where you go directly to the connected app without showing shortcuts first. Second, it adds the “Set Wallpaper”
If you have an iPhone 12 Pro or 12 Pro Max, Apple ProRAW has finally emerged. It lets you take RAW photos right in the Camera app and edit them in Photos and compatible third-party photo editors. Best of all, any iPhone with iOS 14.3 can edit ProRAW photos, not just the 12 Pro and 12 Pro Max.
Other highlights include scannable app clip codes, video recording at 25fps, animated playlist images in Apple Music, a new video player in Apple Music, a new search engine option in Safari, improvements in the TV app, more compatible wireless game controllers, updated cycle tracking in Health, air quality data provided by BreezoMeter and more.
An important item to be excited about is the new privacy information for every app in the App Store. Since December 8, developers have been sending information to Apple about their privacy “nutritional labels,” but the labels hadn’t appeared in the Apple Store until the stable release of iOS 14.3.
Apple Fitness + also requires an Apple Watch Series 3 or later with watchOS 7.2 installed; the latest watchOS has just been released on Monday December 14th. It also works in the Fitness app on newer iPads and HD and 4K Apple TV models. It costs $ 9.99 per month or $ 79.99 per year, or you can pay $ 29.95 every month for Apple One Premier, which includes Fitness +, Apple Music, Apple TV +, Apple Arcade, Apple News + and 2 TB of iCloud storage.
Fitness + can be shared with up to six people in your household. All Apple Watch users get a free month to start, while those who buy an Apple Watch Series 3 or later get three months free.
Apple Fitness + brings studio-style workouts to iPhone, iPad, and Apple TV, intelligently integrating exercise metrics from Apple Watch for a unique, personalized, and immersive experience that users can complete when and where it suits them. Apple Fitness + [launches] featuring 10 of the most popular workout types including High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT), Strength, Yoga, Dance, Core, Cycling, Treadmill (for running and walking), Rowing and Mindful Cooldown, led by a phenomenal team of trainers whose approach is inviting to everyone. The workouts are fueled by inspiring music from today’s best artists, designed to keep users motivated from start to finish.
The AirPods Max, which costs $ 549, has two H1 chips, hi-fi audio, spatial audio, adaptive EQ, active noise cancellation, transparency mode, auto-switching, audio sharing, Siri, and more. Color options are space gray, silver, sky blue, green and pink. AirPods Max will be available on Tuesday December 15, but many from the Apple Store have not been shipping for months due to their popularity.
Apple released the iOS 14.3 update at 10am PST, and you can check out all the big new features in more detail in our iOS 14.3 features overview. You can also browse the official release notes below, which don’t highlight everything new in iOS 14.3.
iOS 14.3 Release Notes
iOS 14.3 includes support for Apple Fitness + and AirPods Max. This release also adds the ability to take photos in Apple ProRAW on iPhone 12 Pro, introduces privacy information in the App Store, and includes other features and bug fixes for your iPhone.
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. For information about the security content of Apple software updates, visit this website: support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Apple Fitness +
- A new fitness experience powered by Apple Watch with studio-style workouts available on your iPhone, iPad and Apple TV (Apple Watch Series 3 and later)
- New fitness app on iPhone, iPad and Apple TV to browse Fitness + workouts, trainers and personalized recommendations
- Video workouts are added every week in ten popular workout types: High Intensity Interval Training, Indoor Cycling, Yoga, Core, Strength, Dance, Rowing, Treadmill Running, Treadmill Running, and Mindful Cooldown
- Playlists curated by Fitness + trainers to complement your workout
- Fitness + subscription available in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom and United States
- Support for AirPods Max, new over-ear headphones
- Hi-Fi audio for rich sound
- Adaptive EQ adjusts the sound in real time to the personal fit of ear pads
- Active noise cancellation to block out ambient noise
- Transparency mode to hear the environment around you
- Spatial audio with dynamic head tracking for a theater-like listening experience
- Apple ProRAW photos can be taken on iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max
- Apple ProRAW photos can be edited in the Photos app
- Option to record video at 25 fps
- Mirror the front camera for photos on iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone SE, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X
- New privacy information section on App Store pages with a developer-reported summary of the app’s privacy practices
- An all-new Apple TV + tab makes it easy to discover and watch Apple Original shows and movies
- Improved search so you can browse by category, such as genre, and see recent searches and suggestions as you type
- The best search results are displayed with the most relevant matches for movies, TV shows, cast, channels and sports
- Support for launching app clips by scanning Apple designed app clip codes through the camera or from the control center
- Ability to indicate pregnancy, breastfeeding, or birth control use in Cycle Tracking in the Health app to better manage menstrual and fertile predictions
- Air quality data is now available in Weather, Maps, and Siri for locations in mainland China
- Air quality health recommendations are provided in Weather and Siri for the United States, United Kingdom, Germany, India, and Mexico at certain air quality levels
- Air quality data in Weather, Maps and Siri reflects updated national scales for Germany and Mexico
- Ecosia search engine in Safari
This release also addresses the following issues:
- Some MMS messages may not be received
- Contact groups could not display members when composing a message
- Some videos are not displayed correctly when shared from the Photos app
- App folders may not be able to be opened
- Spotlight search results and opening apps from Spotlight may not work
- Bluetooth may not be available in Settings
- MagSafe Duo Charger can charge your iPhone wirelessly with less than maximum power
- Wireless accessories and peripherals using the WAC protocol may not complete the installation
- The keyboard would disappear when you add a list to Reminders while using VoiceOver
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices. Visit this website for information about the security content of Apple software updates:
Keep your connection safe without a monthly bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix with no regional restrictions, increase security when browsing public networks and more.
Buy now (80% discount)>