When you watch a movie, are in a meeting, or just feel calm, you may not want your phone to interrupt whatever you do. That is where the Do Not Disturb settings come in. They prevent calls from getting in the way temporarily.
However, sometimes life becomes complicated. You may not want your phone to ring when someone calls, but you also don't want to miss a call from your child, spouse, best friend or pet sitter. No problem. Here you can see how you are notified of calls and text messages in Do Not Disturb mode.
Get calls from a group of contacts
Since iOS 1
- Open settings
- Tap "Do not disturb"
- Switch do not disturb to "on"
- Tap "Allow calls" in the telephone area of the screen
- You can select choose to allow calls from everyone, nobody or the contacts you have selected as favorites. You can also make an exception for an existing Contacts group. (You can only create a group with iCloud on your Mac.)
Receive calls from individual contacts
If there is an individual contact with whom you want to hear, but they are not in your favorites list, you can still make an exception for Do not disturb per person.
- Open contacts
- Select the item for the person you want to bypass DND
- Tap "Edit" in the top right corner of the card
- Scroll down to "Ringtone" and tap it
- Move top of the next map Emergency Bypass on "on". that person to bypass Do Not Disturb.
- Before you press & # 39; Done & # 39; tap to stop, stop for a moment and think for a moment. You may not want to miss a call, but if you do not want to interrupt a meeting, you may want to set a more subtle ringing tone or a warning sound for that person than your usual ringing tone.
- You can also allow texts from an individual bypass DND. Return to the person's Contact Card, tap "Edit" and tap "Text Tone."
- Enable Emergency Diversion to "On"
- There is a way in which Text Tone differs from Ringtone: where calls select some kind of sound required, you can completely disable text alarm sounds based on vibration only to alert you. (As always, you can choose from a range of vibration patterns or create your own.)
Calls or messages from important people (even if they are not marked as Favorites) will now know whether your Do Not Disturb is active or not.
Vox Media has affiliated partnerships. These do not affect editorial content, although Vox Media can earn commissions for products purchased through affiliate links. See our ethical policy for more information.