Here we explain what a payment tracking is and in which two cases you should request one for yourinstead of using the recovery loan.
CNET also has guides on stimulus checks that they cover, , , , and . And here’s what we know about one so far , including all ways and .
Case 1: The IRS Get My Payment app said your money was sent, but you never received it
If youris missing, you must first go to the free IRS online payment tracking tool called Get My Payment to find out the status. We have full instructions on this . But generally, the IRS updates the tool once a day and requires you to enter your Social Security Number from the individual taxpayer identification number, date of birth, street address, and zip code.
The portal shows you your payment status, whether your check is scheduled to be sent, and the payment method (or ) and date. You may also see another message or an error.
You need to request payment tracking if the Get May Payment portal indicates that your payment was made, but you did not receive it within these timeframes:
- 5 days since the deposit date in Get My Payment and your bank says they haven’t received it
- 4 weeks since it was sent to a standard address by check
- 6 weeks since it was shipped and you have registered a forwarding address with the local post office
- 9 weeks since it was shipped and you have a foreign address
Case 2: You received a letter from the IRS confirming your payment, but you did not receive the money
About 15 days after the IRS sends your second stimulus check (by either, or ), you should get a letter from the agency confirming your payment and contacting them to report any concerns. If you have received this letter – also known as Notice 1444 Your Economic Impact Payment – but never received your payment, you must request a Payment Trace. Make sure to keep the letter as you will need the information to submit your claim.
How to Request a Payment Track from the IRS
Call the IRS to request payment tracking 800-919-9835 or mail or fax a completed Form 3911, Taxpayer Statement Regarding Reimbursement. Find out on the IRS website where you can mail or fax that form for your state.
To complete From 3911, the IRS provides the following instructions:
- Write ‘EIP’ at the top of the form (EIP stands for Economic Impact Payment)
- Fill out the form to answer any refund questions related to your payment
- When completing item 7 under section 1:
- Check the box for “Individual” if the Kind of return.
- Enter “2020” as tax Period.
- Don’t write anything for the Date Archived.
- Sign the form. If you are filing a married declaration, both spouses must sign the form.
You should not mail form 3911 if you have already requested a tracking by telephone. And you should not request payment tracking to determine if you were, or to , the IRS said.
How does the IRS handle your Payment Trace request?
The IRS will do the following to process your claim, according to its website:
- If you haven’t cashed the check, the IRS will issue you a replacement. If you discover the original check between your belongings, you are expected to return it as soon as possible.
- Once you have collected the refund check, you can expect a claim package from the Office of the Tax Authorities, containing a copy of the cashed check. Then follow the instructions provided. The Office will review your claim and the signature on the canceled check before deciding whether to issue a replacement check. This is presumably for protection .
When would you get your missing incentive money?
According to its website, you should get a response from the IRS about six weeks after the agency receives your payment tracking request. However, this can be postponed due to limited staffing.
For more information on stimulus controls, see, and all .