Reading stories to your little ones is one of the greatest joys of being a parent, grandparent, brother or sister, aunt or uncle, but sometimes life and distance can get in your way. This is where My Storytime, a new app for smart speakers from Google Home and Nest Home, arrives. With My Storytime you can record stories from all over the world, so that the children in your life can listen to your voice and tell their favorite stories, wherever they may be.
This is not the first trip from Google to children's books ̵
Whether your family has a mother in the army, a father traveling for work, grandparents living outside the state or an older brother or sister in college, here you can set up My Storytime so that you can share stories, no matter how many miles you keep separate.
Setting up My Storytime is short and powerful
To begin, you must record a greeting and some basic questions and answers so that listeners can communicate with your voice, just like they do Google Assistant. My Storytime offers scripts, so you don't have to go for it and the entire process only takes about five minutes. Here's how to start:
1. Go to the MyStorytime website with a telephone, tablet or desktop browser.
2. Log in with the same Google account that you use for Google Home ($ 79 at Walmart) .
3. Follow the prompts to record an intro ("Hey, it's [your name] let's start reading!").
4. Continue to follow questions to record questions for the listener (such as: "What story would you like to hear?") And answers ("Certainly!").
Next step: record your (and your children) favorite stories
After you have recorded the greeting, questions and answers, My Storytime immediately asks you to record your first story. Here's how to do it:
1. Type the name of the story that you are going to read and the author in the appropriate boxes.
2. Press the record button (the microphone icon) to record the title and author of the story.
3. Check the box Yes or No and ask if your story has chapters.
4. Tap or click at the bottom of the screen Start recording to go to the next screen.
5. Press the record button to record the story and press the stop button (square icon) when done.
6. Then you can press the delete button (trash can icon) to delete your recording, press the recording button to record more, press the play button to to listen to what you & # 39; have already recorded or press Save at the bottom of the screen to save your story.
Edit, record and share your stories
After you have recorded your first story, go to the page that you see now every time you log in to My Storytime.
There you can record a new story by pressing the New story button, listen to and edit stories that you have already recorded by tapping or clicking on the title, or share your stories by on the Share button and enter the email address for a Google Home account of a friend or family member.
You can go back at any time and listen to or record the intro, questions and answers by clicking on the gear icon at the top of the screen.
Listen to the stories you've recorded
For My Storytime to work on your Google Home or Nest Home device, you must have Personal Results enabled on your device. This is how:
1. Open the Google Home app on your tablet or phone.
2. Tap the device icon for the speaker that you want to use to listen to My Storytime stories.
3. Tap the gear icon in the upper right corner.
4. Scroll down and below More switch on Personal results .
Once enabled, you or anyone with whom you have shared your stories to listen to your My Storytime stories, say, "Hey Google, talk to My Storytime."
The app starts with playing the recorded intro, followed by the question with which story the listener would like to hear. You can respond by mentioning the title of a story or you can ask: "Which stories do you have?" to hear a list.
Now that you have set up My Storytime, for the ultimate storytime listening experience, try combining two smart speakers from Google Home or Nest Home into a left / right stereo link. Or even better, if your little ones have separate bedrooms, you can create a whole-house audio system that can play your stories in multiple rooms simultaneously. Sharing the tender moments of life is one of the best ways to use Google Home and Nest Home, so you want to check your security settings regularly to make sure those moments stay private.