Today, there are more similarities between iOS and Android than differences, and what you’re doing really comes down to personal preference. But an advantage of Apple devices is longer update life. Android has always lagged behind, but for Samsung devices, that̵
Of course, a security update promise is a full OS update, so don’t expect Android 16 (or whatever it may be called) to be released on a Galaxy device this year. But as devices age, full OS updates can cause more harm than good, and the critical factor is security. Even Apple remembers functions from older devices.
Don’t think of it as fragmentation, but Android devices usually don’t get security updates for as long as Apple devices. Things have improved over the years, but many manufacturers promise only two years of updates, and some don’t follow. Samsung, on the other hand, has delivered better than average updates.
So far, it promised three years of security updates and generally delivered. Now that promise is being extended to four years. However, the frequency of updates will slow down over time. For the first two years, Galaxy devices will receive monthly updates. After that, they will discontinue quarterly updates and Samsung will ship “regular updates” in the fourth year. It’s not clear how often that means, but presumably less than every quarter.
Still, having more security updates is a good thing, as people stick with smartphones longer and rarely replace tablets. Here’s the full list of devices that Samsung says will get four years worth of updates to get started:
- Galaxy Foldable Devices: Fold, Fold 5G, Z Fold2, Z Fold2 5G, Z Flip, Z Flip 5G
- Galaxy S Series: S10, S10 +, S10e, S10 5G, S10 Lite, S20, S20 5G, S20 +, S20 + 5G, S20 Ultra, S20 Ultra 5G, S20 FE, S20 FE 5G, S21 5G, S21 + 5G , S21 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy Note Series: Note10, Note10 5G, Note10 +, Note10 + 5G, Note10 Lite, Note20, Note20 5G, Note20 Ultra, Note20 Ultra 5G
- Galaxy A Series: A10, A10e, A10s, A20, A20s, A30, A30s, A40, A50, A50s, A60, A70, A70s, A80, A90 5G, A11, A21, A21s, A31, A41, A51, A51 5G , A71, A71 5G, A02s, A12, A32 5G, A42 5G
- Galaxy M Series: M10s, M20, M30, M30s, M40, M11, M12, M21, M31, M31s, M51
- Galaxy XCover series: XCover4s, XCover FieldPro, XCover Pro
- Galaxy Tab Series: Tab Active Pro, Tab Active3, Tab A 8 (2019), Tab A with S Pen, Tab A 8.4 (2020), Tab A7, Tab S5e, Tab S6, Tab S6 5G, Tab S6 Lite, Tab S7, S7 + tab