Even if you have your first checkand probably will straight to your bank account, you want to make sure you get the IRS letter verifying when your payment was sent. This is important for anyone who may experience an unexpected delay in receiving their check, and it includes phone numbers to contact the IRS helpline for economic impact.
If youand you recently moved, you may not receive it if the IRS doesn’t have your updated mailing address or if it was sent to your old address. Follow these steps to change your address and notify the IRS so that when a second stimulus is being monitored coming your way, you are ready to make your payment of (probably) and .
How to Forward Your US Mail If You Have Moved
When you first move, it is important to forward your email so that you never miss an important document such as a stimulus check. Here’s how to do it.
1. In a browser window, go to usps.com/move.
2. Fill in the form with your contact details, the date you want to forward the email and your old and new address. Make sure everything is correct and click The next when you are ready to move on.
3. You then need to specify your payment method. It costs $ 1.05 each time you forward your mailing address. Please note that you cannot use a prepaid credit or debit card for this.
4. After you have paid, you will receive an e-mail confirmation that your address change has been made.
5. At your new address, look for a USPS confirmation letter and welcome pack in the mail. USPS notes that it can take anywhere from three business days to two weeks for you to receive your forwarded email.
How to let the IRS know you have a different address
After you complete your change of address with USPS, you may also need to let the IRS know your new address, especially if you. The IRS says that if you have filed a 2019 tax return and have not provided information about your direct deposit, the payment will be sent to the registered address. However, if you forwarded your email, USPS has the updated information to get your check to you.
If you haven’t alreadybut plan to use your new address. The IRS says it will update its records with your new address. If you don’t typically need to file taxes and haven’t received your first incentive payment, the deadline has passed but on your taxes in 2021.
To notify the IRS of your change of address, you can complete Form 8822 or notify the IRS in writing at ‘the address where you filed your last return’ by your full name, your old and new address, your social security number. taxpayer identification number or employer identification number and your signature. The IRS says you can also do this over the phone, but they may request additional information. Keep in mind that it can take four to six weeks for your change of address to be processed by the IRS.
For more information on stimulus controls, here, and .