People are doing much more video conferencing now that they are staying at home because of the COVID-19 pandemic. These sessions can be a great way to keep in touch with friends and family, do business with colleagues, and track schoolwork. Sometimes you may want to save a recording of the meeting so that you can revisit it later. So you can listen to a teacher's lecture again, use the audio for a podcast, or even relive the announcement of a family pregnancy (something that really happened to me during a recent family video call).
ways to record video conferencing even on their free versions. We've outlined here how to set up recordings for three well-known services: Zoom, Google Meet, and Skype.
Zoom lets you record calls whether you are a free user or a paid user. However, if you are a free user, you can only save recordings to your computer. If you want to store recordings in the cloud, you need to be part of one of the company's paid offerings. Those plans start at $ 1
To record a Zoom meeting:
- If you are the host of your Zoom call, click the record button on the toolbar at the bottom of the call window to start recording. If you have a paid plan, you should see the option to choose between taking a local recording or a cloud recording.
- When recording starts, you can pause or stop recording with buttons at the top left corner of your screen or on the Zoom toolbar.
- If you chose local recording, the call will be converted to an .mp4 file and saved to your computer as soon as you end your meeting. During my testing, Zoom automatically opened the Finder window to the folder containing both audio and video versions of the recording.
- If you chose a cloud recording, Zoom will show you a message at the end of your meeting that you have & # 39; I will receive an email when the recording is finished. For me, that email had a link to Zoom's website with audio and video versions of the recording, as well as a password-protected link that I could share with others for them to view and download the recording.
Zoom's website has supporting documents for cloud recording, local recording and recording with Zoom's iOS and Android apps if you want to know more. The company has also put together a handy video demonstrating how to record a call when using a computer.
Anyone who is a G Suite customer should be able to record a call for a limited time. via Google Meet. That's because until September 30, Google gave free access to recording and other advanced Meet features. After that date, video recordings in Meet are expected to be available only to G Suite Enterprise customers, which cost $ 25 per user per month, and G Suite Enterprise for Education, which cost $ 48 per user per year (although Google will have a lower promotional prices until July 31 under certain circumstances). However, if you plan to host video conferencing through the free version of Google Meet that will roll out in the coming weeks, you will not be able to record, says Google The Verge .
Here's how to record a Google Meet call. Note that I have not been able to personally test these steps myself; the recording feature was not enabled for the G Suite account I use at work (or for a colleague's account with a personal G Suite account). If you don't see the recording option after following the steps below, it may not have been rolled out to your account or your company's G Suite settings may not let you make recordings.
- Once you are in the meeting, click the three vertical dots icon in the bottom right corner of your screen. A menu will appear and at the top you will see an option 'Record meeting'. Click to start recording. The meeting organizer or anyone in the same organization as the host can record a meeting, according to Google.
- To stop recording, click the three vertical dots again and click the "Stop Recording" menu option at the top of the list.
- Recordings are stored in the meeting organizer's Google Drive in a folder called & # 39; Meet Recordings & # 39 ;. The organizer will also receive an email with a link to the recording. If you are not the meeting organizer, but have activated a recording, you will also receive a link to the recording by email. A link to the recording will also be added to the calendar invitation.
Google has additional information about meeting recordings in this support document, and you can watch a video on it in Meet.
Here's how to record a Skype call.
- You must have at least one other person on your call to make a call recording. Once the other person has logged in, you should see an option to see "Start Recording" in the bottom left corner of your conversation window when you move your mouse. Any person can click on it to start recording.
- To stop recording, click the "Stop Recording" button. at the top of the screen or in the same lower left corner of the window where the 'Start recording' button used to be.
- When you end your call, & # 39; I can access the recording in the Skype app and download it to your computer. Recordings are available for 30 days.
You can also refer to Microsoft's support document on how to record calls in Skype if you want to know more.