Having problems with your Amazon Alexa device, or maybe upgrading to a newer version and want to sell or give away an older model? Whatever the reason, you want to know how to reset an Alexa device.
The exact method depends on the Alexa device in question, it is also possible to reset most Alexa devices directly from the app. Without further ado, here's how to reset Alexa devices.
Reset Echo and Echo Dot (first generation models)
The Amazon Echo and Echo Dot are very easy to equip. Here's what you need to know:
- Locate the small hole at the base of the device. This is the reset button.
- Then take a paper clip, sim tool or something similar and hold the reset button until the light ring of the Echo turns orange and then blue.
- As soon as the light ring is off and on again it should be orange, which means that it is now in setting mode.
- That's it, you've reset it now. If you want to add it back to your network (like a situation where you reset an Alexa device as a troubleshooting step), just open the Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register reset it with your Amazon account
Resetting Echo and Echo Dot (second generation models)
The steps for resetting an Echo and Echo Dot are slightly different for each generation. For the second generation, do the following:
- Press and hold the microphone off and volume down buttons on your 2nd generation Echo device for 20 seconds until the light ring turns orange, then briefly blue.
- Once the light ring has gone out and on again, it should now be orange, indicating that it is in setting mode.
- That's all. As with the first generation model, if you want to add it back to your network, just open the Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account .
Reset Echo and Echo Dot (3rd generation models)
Do you have a 3rd generation Echo or Echo Dot product? Here's what you need to know to reset it:
- Press and hold the action button (top) for about 25 seconds. The light ring turns orange and then briefly blue.
- Wait until the light ring is switched on and off again. It should now be orange which is why it has been reset and is in setup mode.
- To add it back to your network, open the Alexa app and follow the steps to connect it to a Wi-Fi network and register it to your Amazon account.
How to factory reset Alexa smart displays like the Echo Show
Have an Alexa Echo Show or a similar display-based product? The reset process is quite simple:
- Press and hold the Mute and Volume buttons at the top of the device. As soon as you see the Amazon logo (after about 15 seconds) you can release the buttons.
- The screen now displays instructions if you want to add it to your existing or new network.
Alexa reset devices from the Amazon Alexa app
If for some reason none of the above methods work or if you have an Alexa third party device and can't figure out the reset steps, it is possible to reset Alexa devices directly from the app! Here's how:
- Open the Alexa app and hit the Devices button in the bottom right corner.
- Select Echo & Alexa and then the specific device you want to reset.
- Find where it says "Device is registered to" and press "Logout". Confirm your selection by pressing Deregister in the next window that appears.
- That's it, you have the Echo or Alexa device reset.
More manuals and features for Echo and Alexa