A good playlist can give you an adrenaline rush at the right time when you’re in the middle of a training session. Modern smartwatches often have the ability to play and save music, so you can leave your phone at home while exercising. If you happen to have a Fitbit smartwatch, we’ll show you how to set up Fitbit music services on your Fitbit Sense, Versa, or Ionic smartwatch.
Can I play music on my Fitbit?
First of all, not every Fitbit can play music. To store music on your Fitbit, you need a Fitbit Sense, Versa 3, Versa 2, Versa or Ionic smartwatch. Note that the Fitbit Versa Lite does not support music storage.
With that in mind, there are multiple ways to add music to your Fitbit smartwatch. If you have a Deezer or Pandora account, Fitbit offers an app to sync your playlists offline. The other method requires you to have an offline music library. Let̵
Put music on a Fitbit smartwatch
Transferring local music to a Fitbit is a fairly straightforward process that requires installing an app on your computer.
- Start by going to fitbit.com/setup on your PC or Mac to download the Fitbit Connect app. Once downloaded, complete the installation to continue.
- Opening the app will give you three different options. You can’t set up a Fitbit smartwatch with a desktop and you’ll need to use the mobile app for that.
- Need extra help? Refer to our step-by-step Fitbit installation tutorial for more details.
- When you tap the Manage My Music tile, you will be prompted to sign in to your Fitbit account.
- Now go to your watch and swipe to the Music app. Tap the Transfer Music button to turn on Wi-Fi and make your watch discoverable to the app.
- Back in the desktop app, you need to import an existing playlist or create a new one to send it to the Fitbit. You can tap the gear icon in the top right corner to select folders to import into the app.
- Once your playlists are set up or imported, tap the circle icon next to them to start the transfer process. Be patient – this will take a while.
Your selected playlists should now be on your Fitbit. Time to pair your favorite Bluetooth earbuds and go for a run.
Also read: The best workout earplugs you can buy right now
Sync music from Deezer to Fitbit
If you’ve gone all in on streaming music and don’t have a local music library, Fitbit offers a way to sync your playlists from Deezer. You do of course need a subscription to Deezer Premium to use this feature.
- Go to the Music page from the settings menu in the Fitbit app.
- Select Deezer.
- Open the Deezer app on your watch to access the activation code. Go to fitbit.com/deezer to pair the watch with your Deezer account.
- Log in or register for the service. You will now be presented with a list of playlists – both your own and Deezer’s – to sync with your Fitbit.
- Select the playlist and sit back. This process will take some time depending on the number of tracks you are trying to sync. It is recommended to charge your Fitbit while syncing music.
Sync music from Pandora to Fitbit
- As with the process for Deezer, go to the Music page under your Fitbit settings in the Fitbit app.
- Select Pandora and tap the login button.
- You must subscribe to the premium Pandora Premium service to download music to your Fitbit. A one-month trial is available if you want to give it a shot before committing to the service.
- Once you are logged in, you will find that Pandora does not have as many options as Deezer. The integration allows you to choose up to three of your favorite stations. You can also choose playlists from Pandora’s selection of Workouts. Plus, it also downloads a Thumbprint radio station based on your listening habits.
Stream Spotify on your Fitbit
Spotify streaming on Fitbit requires a Spotify Premium account as well as the dedicated Spotify app that can be installed via the Fitbit mobile app.
- Open the Fitbit app on your phone.
- Tap apps.
- Under All apps you will see the Spotify app. Tap to install.
- Now go to My apps and tap the gear icon next to Spotify.
- Log in to your Spotify account.
Unlike some other streaming services, Spotify on Fitbit smartwatches doesn’t offer an offline mode and instead acts more like a remote for streaming from your phone.
However, it does add Spotify Connect functionality, which means you can now use your Fitbit to control playback on any other supported device as well. Additionally, the app allows you to play music from your library and recently played, but you cannot search for playlists.
The next: The best Fitbit alternatives: Garmin, Apple, Xiaomi, and more