Excel is a powerful program, with advanced features such as macros and pivot tables. But sometimes you just need to quickly add a long list of songs. If that is the case, you need to know how to sum a column in Excel.
As with most functions in Excel, there is more than one way to get the job done. Here is a list of some methods you can try, with the first one requiring only one click.
Adding a column in Excel
Method one: the single click
The easiest way to sum a column is to click on the letter at the top. You will see the bar change at the bottom right of the sheet and one of the values shown is the sum. This is the easiest method if you don't need to fill a cell with the value, but just make a note of it.
<img class = "lazyload aligncenter wp-image-1105458 noname size-large aa-img" title = "sum column excel 1" src = "data: image / svg + xml,% 3Csvg% 20xmlns =% 22http: //www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%201200%20346%22%3E%3C/svg%3E "data-src = "https://cdn57.androidauthority.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/sum-column-excel-1-1200×346.jpg" alt = "sum column excel 1  Method two: The AutoSum function
The second way to sum a column is by using the AutoSum function, it is slightly more complicated than the first method, but it is easier to save the data. are as follows:
1. Select the cell under the column you want to sum.
2. Navigate to the tab Home and find the group Editing Click on the function AutoSum with the ∑ symbol.
3. Excel automatically adds the function = SUM and selects the number range above the cell in the column.
4. Just press Enter to see your sum.
Method three: Use the SUM formula manually
You can also use the SUM function manually. This is the easier method if you want to sum just a few cells in your column and you can learn more about adding in Excel here. Here is an overview of the steps:
1. Select the cell in which you want to display the sum.
2. Start your formula with the command = SUM (.
3. You can manually enter and separate cells in your formula with commas or highlight a range of cells divided by a colon.Once you have the cells you want, close the parenthesis.
4. See the example in the function bar in the figure below. press Enter to see your total.
Method four: convert your data into a table
This last way to sum from a column in Excel is easiest if you plan to present your data, it not only sums up your data, but also performs some other functions for you to choose from.
1. Highlight the column and press Ctrl + T on your keyboard to format the range of your cells in an Exc el table.
2. You should now see the Design tab appear. Go to the tab and check the box that says Total Row .
3. A new row of values should appear at the end of your table with values at the end of each column. Select the cell at the bottom of the column you want to sum to display a drop-down menu.
4. Open the drop-down menu and select the Sum option to see your total.
What else can I do with Excel?
Now that you know how to sum a column in Excel, you are ready to take your skills to the next level. If you want to learn more advanced features like Power Query, VBA and Pivot Tables, there is affordable guidance. You can now take a practical training with a special learning kit from Tech Deals.
The new learning kit we highlight is called The Professional Microsoft Excel Certification Training Bundle and contains eight modules. You can explore over 40 hours of excellent Excel content and go from zero to hero at your own pace. now it's a shot for just $ 39. You can join more than 4,000 other people expanding their skills. Check it out via the widget below.
$ 39 .00
The Professional Microsoft Excel Certification Training Bundle
Save $ 1561 .00  Buy Now  The Professional Microsoft Excel Certification Training Bundle Buy Now
Save $ 1561 .00 $ 39 .00