Tablet PC Primer
One of the fastest growing trends in computer use is the use of the tablet PC. Tablet computers have been around for a long time and were first introduced to the mainstream more than ten years ago. The most important turning point in terms of growth and popularity was the introduction of the Apple iPad. Tablet PC & # 39; s have come along because the acceptance and interest in tablets has increased.
Tablets are also becoming smaller, faster and more efficient. With location sharing and geolocation-based services, more and more people are starting to turn to tablet PCs for their flexibility, convenience and innovative use.
What is a tablet PC?
A tablet PC is a small, lightweight, portable computer that works with a touchscreen interface. In many ways, tablets are comparable to smartphones, only larger and with a primary purpose of computer use, not telephony. Otherwise they are quite similar and contain many of the same functions. Some tablet PCs look more like a computer with a known desktop operating system, only disgusted by the smaller screen and "touch" environment.
The term "tablet PC" is often used interchangeably with "tablet". Traditional tablet PC operating systems include adaptations from Windows, Linux, BlackBerry Tablet OS, Android and Apple & # 39; s iOS. Examples of tablet computers you might know are the Apple iPad, Samsung Galaxy Tab (an Android tablet), BlackBerry PlayBook and a range of tablets from many other popular tablet manufacturers, including Acer, Fujitsu, Asus and Toshiba. [1
Tablet PC Features
Tablets are quickly becoming a real option for people who want something bigger than a smartphone, but smaller and lighter than a laptop. Tablet PCs are fully functional computers within the limits of their physical size; they enable consumers to take significant amounts of their data with them and can connect to even more of their information stored in the Cloud. Tablets can be very functional for both personal and business use. As part of our Tablet PC Primer, here are some important tablet functions and specifications:
- Size and weight: Tablet PCs are among the largest mobile computer platforms. Most tablet screens are 7 to 11 inches tall. The heaviest tablets weigh around two and a half pounds, while most tablets fall within the range of 1-2 pounds. However, many newer tablets weigh less than a pound and are generally equipped with smaller screens (average 7 inches).
- CPUs in tablet PCs include Nvidia Tegra 250, Intel Atom and Intel Core.
- Storage: the vast majority of tablets have SSD disks (solid-state disk). These discs do not use mechanical parts for reading and writing data. As such, they are very fast.
- Operating systems include Windows, Linux, BlackBerry Tablet OS, Android, iOS and more.
- Touch screen input. Tablets contain touch-screen interfaces that allow a user to enter data using a virtual keyboard. Touch screens are resistive or capacitive. Resistive touch screens can make a lot of precision possible and usually require a stylus. Capacitive screens respond faster, contain multi-touch capabilities and generally do not include a stylus for input.
- Handwriting recognition. This is a common tablet function, but certainly not universal. If a tablet contains a stylus, it also contains handwriting recognition. Tablets that are not based on a stylus rely on the virtual keyboard instead.
- Tablets can detect direction. Using technology that uses an & # 39; accelerometer & # 39; is mentioned, many tablets can detect in which direction they are looking and the screen can be moved accordingly.
- Docking stations can be supplied with newer models. These docking stations offer you the possibility to add peripherals, such as a full keyboard.
- Tablet PCs usually use built-in flash memory or storage drives. Extra flexibility and capacity is offered by card ports.
Potential disadvantages for tablet PC's
- No keyboard is included. Having a standard keyboard is not a problem for some people, but for others there is nothing better than a physical QWERTY keyboard (full-size or otherwise) to enter words. If you need to type quickly, the touch screen may not be what you are looking for. Consider a tablet PC with a docking station for a keyboard if you really want a tablet PC and you type a lot.
- The screen can be susceptible to damage. With laptops and traditional PCs you have no interaction with your screen at all, except visually. With a tablet, however, you often touch the screen, which increases the chance that you will eventually damage it. Although you can usually buy a replacement screen for a tablet, this is expensive.
- There are many security issues. Because you are not always on a secure wireless network when you use your tablet PC you run a greater risk. However, you can take steps to protect your tablet PC by installing antivirus and regularly scanning.
What is the next step for tablet computing?
Geolocation services are still in the early phase of the tablet PC implementation, but are growing rapidly. What is geolocation? It refers to the practice of collecting information about the physical location of a device. Services that use geolocation include social networking sites such as foursquare as well as geo marketing campaigns that target users based on their location. Sharing locations is something you can sign up for or not, but it is only useful if you have a tablet PC or other mobile device.
What are some examples of geolocation services and how they can serve you? Imagine going shopping and choosing to receive targeted advertisements as you walk down the street. The ads you reach are relevant to you based on the information you've shared and lead you to places to shop nearby. This can save you time and lead to big discounts. Also imagine that you can share your location with a trusted circle of friends and see where your friends are at the same time. If you are in the same area and you are not busy, you can meet.
As site sharing grows, we can expect tablet PCs to grow enormously in popularity. The tablet PC has its disadvantages, but also offers flexibility and ease of use and can be adjusted with additional peripherals if necessary. With the growing trends in geolocation services, they should soon be able to offer more innovative applications to consumers than ever before.
The areas of Tablet PCs are evolving rapidly. New and improved components, new operating systems, lighter and longer-life batteries, and new tablet manufacturers all contribute to continuous change. And many benefits for consumers.