A great TV is a must in a modern household. And if you enjoy simply casting your phone screen or even internet browser to your TV, check out purchasing an Android TV or a TV with Chromecast built-in.
What to look for on a Google TV
There are so many great TV options, so how do you choose the right one? If you̵
- How you will use the TV: The most important factor to consider is how you will be using the TV. Are you mainly going to stream media on it or do you also play demanding video games on it? Depending on how you plan to use the TV, you may need to pay more attention to specific specifications such as the refresh rate, resolution, display technology, and the number and type of HDMI ports. A good TV for gaming has a high refresh rate, a high resolution and a more modern display type.
- Size: Next, you need to think about where you want to place the TV and how you want it to fit into your space. Always measure your room several times to make sure your TV will fit. If the TV enters your living room, you may want to look for a larger 65-inch TV. If the TV enters your bedroom or guest room, you might want to consider something smaller, such as a 32-inch or a 43-inch TV. It all depends on how much TV your room and entertainment center can accommodate.
- Refresh Rate: The higher the refresh rate, the smoother the picture will look, especially when gaming. If you see a refresh rate that says 120Hz or 120fps (frames per second), that’s literally the number of frames per second on your screen. This is the best choice if you plan on playing with a modern console such as the PlayStation 5 or Xbox Series X.
- Resolution: With more modern TVs, you usually get a resolution of at least 1080p. It is increasingly common for larger TVs to have 4K Ultra HD resolution. The 4K resolution is 3840 x 2160 pixels, compared to 1080p resolution at 1920 x 1080 pixels. In general, the more pixels you have, the sharper the photo will look.
- Support for Android TV vs Chromecast: All TVs on this list give you access to Chromecast from the start; no need to use a Chromecast dongle. However, there is a difference between Android TVs and TVs with Chromecast built-in. With Android TVs, you have a much more powerful Chromecast system because it is built into the operating system. With Chromecast functionality on top of another smart TV platform, such as Vizio’s SmartCast, you can still use Google Cast features, but you don’t get the benefit of additional Android-specific additions.
Best Overall: VIZIO P-Series Quantum
This 65 inch VIZIO P Series Quantum TV will be the best option for most people who want a long term investment. It has a 4K resolution with QLED display technology, which means that there is Quantum Color in addition to the Active Full Array backlight technology; this provides a richer color intensity.
VIZIO’s IQ UltraTM processor makes this smart TV ultra-fast and more responsive, especially when loading apps. With SmartCast, you have instant access to popular streaming services such as Netflix, Disney +, Prime Video and more, as well as support for Chromecast technology.
To top it all off, this TV has a fast 120Hz refresh rate and four HDMI 2.1 inputs, so it’s great for gaming and basic media streaming. And if the 65-inch option isn’t big enough for you, the P-Series Quantum is also available in a 75-inch model.
Vizio P-Series Imation
This VIZIO P series Quantum TV will be the best option for most people who want a long term investment.
Another great option: Sony A8H Bravia OLED
This 55-inch A8H Bravia OLED TV from Sony is another fantastic option that gives you fantastic colors on an Android TV with Chromecast hardwired. It has 4K resolution and OLED screen technology combined with Pixel contrast enhancer for even more vibrant colors. There are four HDMI 2.0 ports. Although there are no HDMI 2.1 ports, this TV does support an HDMI 2.1 function: Enhanced Audio Return Channel, which gives you hi-res audio, including Dolby Atmos and DTSX.
As it is an Android TV, you can control it via voice commands to Google Assistant and easily take advantage of Chromecast casting features. Alexa and Siri are also compatible with the TV in case someone else in your household uses virtual assistants.
If you want to release a larger version, a 65-inch model is also available.
And if you’re into console gaming, you’ll be happy to know that Sony’s BRAVIA TV series has a dedicated game mode to enhance your gaming experience by making it smoother and more responsive. The refresh rate is set at 60Hz and is not a variable refresh rate like the VIZIO P-Quantum Series TV above, so if the ultimate gaming experience is your primary concern, go for the VIZIO.
Another great option
Sony A8H Bravia OLED
This 55-inch A8H Bravia OLED model from Sony is another great option that gives you great color on an Android TV with Chromecast hardwired.
Best Budget: TCL Class 4 Series
This 75-inch TV from TCL is cheaper, but still offers you 4K HDR resolution and smart voice options with Google Assistant. The refresh rate is 60Hz, so it’s perfect for streaming media, but it’s a bit low if you plan on playing a lot of video games on next-generation consoles.
There are three HDMI 2.0 inputs and you don’t have to waste an input on a streaming device; you automatically have many of your favorite streaming services available as apps on this TV, such as Netflix, Disney +, Hulu, Prime Video and more.
And while the 75-inch option is much cheaper than others in its size class, a 55-inch version is also available that’s half the price.
Best Small: VIZIO D Series
While a small TV may not give you the highest resolution or fastest refresh rate, it’s great to have for dorms, guest rooms, or other small spaces. This 32-inch TV works with VIZIO’s SmartCast system to give you access to streaming apps such as Netflix, Disney +, Prime Video and more. Plus, you can also access Chromecast functionality and Apple AirPlay, if someone else in your family has an iOS device.
You can use the TV’s smart remote, the SmartCast mobile app, or a virtual assistant such as Google Assistant, Siri, or Alexa to control TV functions such as turning on and off and opening specific apps.
On the more technical side, this VIZIO TV has a resolution of 1080p, a refresh rate of 60 Hz, 2 HDMI 2.0 ports and a display with LED backlight. And if you need a smaller size, there is a 24-inch version.
Vizio D series
While a small TV may not give you the highest resolution or fastest refresh rate, it’s great to have for dorms, guest rooms, or other small spaces and still have Chromecast functionality.
Best Mid-Range: Sony X800H
This 65-inch Sony X800H will offer you quite a few useful features, such as an LED display and a 4K HDR processor, while the price remains relatively low. With this smart Android TV you can easily use Google Assistant and Chromecast. And with 4 HDMI 2.0 ports, this TV has great connectivity.
While this Sony TV only has a 60Hz refresh rate, it comes with MotionFlow XR 240, which should help make the picture look smoother, especially in games. In fact, there is even a dedicated game mode on this TV that makes your gaming experience more responsive and less delayed.
And if the 65-inch model isn’t the right size for you, don’t worry; the Sony X800H is also available in the sizes 43 inch, 49 inch, 55 inch, 75 inch and even 85 inch.
This 65-inch Sony X800H will offer you quite a few useful features, such as an LED display and a 4K HDR processor, while the price remains relatively low.
Best Premium: VIZIO P Series Quantum X
If you want the best of the best and an excellent gaming TV, go for this 85-inch VIZIO P Series Quantum X. It has 4K resolution, Dolby Vision HDR, four HDMI 2.1 ports and a VIZIO IQ Ultra TM processor to support everything.
The ProGaming Engine automatically optimizes gameplay on your Xbox or PlayStation, making the graphics smoother and making the game more responsive overall. One of the best features for gaming on this TV is the variable refresh rate that supports up to 120Hz. Moreover, it also includes AMD FreeSync technology to reduce gameplay lag and broken frames.
And if 85 inches is a little too big for your space, you can still get all of these excellent features in a 65-inch model or a 75-inch model.
Such as VIZIO P-Series 10
If you want the best of the best and an excellent gaming TV, go for this 85-inch VIZIO P Series Quantum X.