We are looking for a solid writer with experience in researching, installing, troubleshooting, and writing on smart home technology.
Our readers love How-To Geek for its unique voice. We’re not a website for geeks – we’re the geeks. We are the people you turn to when your computer is not working properly, you need to do something technical, or want to understand the latest gadgets. We explain it all in simple, accessible terms.
You must have a passion for explaining technology, a genuine curiosity about researching and trying new smart home technologies, and the technical experience to back it all up.
What you would do
- Research, test and help increase smarthome product coverage for our site.
- Generate new article ideas based on your own experience and also accept assignments from editors
- Write several short (400-1
- Occasionally write longer articles with long articles. Examples of our main articles are:
- Update existing articles from our archive as needed
- Demonstrated experience writing smarthome-related content for a large print or digital publication
- Genuine curiosity about trying new products, along with the ability to dive into new topics and learn them quickly
- The ability to write new articles and review edits of submitted material on a daily basis
- Keep up to date with the news about various smart home technologies
- Detail-oriented and deadline-oriented, with a ‘get-things-done’ attitude
- Strong attention to detail with an emphasis on accuracy and quality
- Ability to prioritize work to balance multiple projects and deadlines
- To be able to work independently and together as part of a team
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Preferably experience working in WordPress
- Basic knowledge of SEO principles is a plus
About the job
- This job is one temp-to-permanent positionDuring the first evaluation period, which can take up to 3 months, we offer $ 25 / hr to 40 hours / week.
- Benefits include:
- 401 (k): Employer match up to 4%; are eligible after 3 months of full-time employment.
- Health insurance: Insurance plan for medical, dental and visual expenses.
- Paid holidays: We offer the following paid holidays: New Years Day, Washington’s Birthday, Memorial Day, Independence Day, Labor Day, Columbus Day, Veterans Day, Thanksgiving Day, the Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Day.
- Non-redeemable PTO (holidays and sick days): The company offers 120 hours of non-exchangeable PTO annually for combined paid vacation and sick pay. The employee is allowed to bring only 80 hours of non-redeemable PTO each calendar year.
- At the office and remotely. You mainly work at our office, but you may also sometimes work remotely. You must have your own computer with reliable Internet access.
- Must be legally permitted to work in the US, within commuting distance of Ashburn, Virginia, and available to work during normal business hours.
Salary: $ 50,000 a year
How to apply
If you would like to apply for this vacancy, please go to our vacancy on ZipRecruiter and click on the big green button “Apply now”.