just got a little bit easier thanks to this free Google Chrome browser extension called Netflix Party. It allows you to start, stop and pause a Netflix movie or show so you can watch it with a group of friends and family at the same time, without having to try hard to sync everyone. ("Three, two, one … Play!") There's also a side chat bar where you and your friends can discuss what's going on in the movie ̵
Netflix Party helps bridge the gap by allowing you and your friends to stream shows and movies simultaneously on your desktop so you always watch the same thing. Read on to download, install and use the Netflix Party extension to sync watching movies with family and friends.
Everyone in your group needs a Netflix account
For this to work, everyone who sends you an invitation must have access to Netflix. If they don't have an account, Netflix offers a free 30-day trial for new subscribers. If they are not new subscribers, they can reactivate their account for $ 9 per month and cancel at any time.
Download the Google extension
After everyone logs into Netflix on their computer, they must download the Netflix Party extension. Here's how.
1. Visit netflixparty.com in your Google Chrome browser.
2. Click on Download Netflix Party for free .
3. You will be directed to the Google Chrome web store page to download the extension. Click on Add to Chrome .
4. A pop-up window opens. Select Add extension . You will now see a gray NP icon in your browser toolbar.
Start watching movies with friends
Now that you have downloaded the extension, you can start watching programs and movies with your friends and family. Here's how to get started.
1. Open a new tab in your Google Chrome browser and sign in to Netflix.
2. Find a program or movie you want to watch and click on it.
3. You will now see that the NP (Netflix Party) icon has changed from gray to red. Click on the icon and select Start the party . You will become the host, so you can select the option to be the only controller to pause and play the show, or let anyone take control.
4. Copy the URL from the pop-up window and send it to everyone you want to invite to the group.
5. The chat room appears on the right side of the screen. From there, you can see when someone is joining the party.
6. Now you can laugh, cry and cry with your family and friends, and feel a little less alone.
Do you want to do more things in this age of social distance? Here isand .