Microsoft has found a way to make sure Xbox fans get aor console with his . The company tweeted on Tuesday that it has reopened the program, giving more Xbox Insiders the chance to buy a console directly from Microsoft without having to compete with bots to secure one. We have more details about the program and how to get involved below.
As for the next store to have stock, we don’t know. Target, GameStop, and Best Buy topped up their inventory last week before the Memorial Day holiday weekend kicked off. That means this week might be a little quiet.
We know that avoiding an outrageous price tag or being stuck with an expensive bundle of accessories you might not want is just as important as finding an Xbox for sale in the first place. Below we have a few tips to help you score an Xbox game console without paying extra.
Why is the Xbox Series X hard to find?
Essentially, Microsoft can’t get the materials it needs to make enough Xbox consoles to meet demand. Just like with theand most PC video cards, straight away. production slowed for a while for many chip makers, and industry viewers don’t currently expect the issue to be fully resolved until the end of the year.
As a result, Microsoft makes as many consoles as it can and distributes them among its trading partners. Each retail partner releases its available consoles in the manner it sees fit. Usually this means announcing in advance when you can buy the console online and then releasing it to everyone.
In recent weeks, these were the retailers with Xbox Series X shares:
- Target, May 27: The console flew off physical shelves when the store began selling Xbox series consoles from stores for the first time since the pandemic began.
- GameStop, May 26: The video game retailer had multiple bundles available that came with games, controllers, and gift cards.
- Best Buy, May 24: A large stock came and went.
- Walmart, May 20: There was a small supply, sold out quickly, but Walmart does keep some consoles for the Xbox All Access program.
- Microsoft, May 17: This addition to the Xbox Series X was made through the new Console Purchase Pilot program, which you could only participate in if you were part of the Xbox Insiders program. More about this below.
Expect more updates here as they happen.
What is Microsoft’s Console Purchase Pilot Program?
Microsoft has made it possible for people who participate in the Xbox Insiders program to form a virtual queue that guarantees that you will be offered a legitimate Xbox console at the regular price as soon as one is available through Microsoft. The only way to participate in this limited program is to already own an Xbox, so you can join the Xbox Insiders Program and be invited to sign up for this Console Purchase Pilot. To participate, you must participate in the Xbox Insider Program.
How do I join the Xbox Insider Program?
Microsoft’s internal program of giving fans early access to things it’s trying out offers a lot of fun stuff to poke around even without this early access program for buying a new Xbox. To participate in this program, you must be logged into an Xbox with your own account.
1. Open the Xbox Store.
2. Search Insider.
3. Select the Xbox Insider Bundle app.
4. Select Join when you open the app.
Nothing you do within the Xbox Insider Program is permanent. If you decide you don’t want to be notified when test features are available, you can remove yourself from the Xbox Insider Program at any time. On the Settings page in the Insider Hub app on your Xbox, you can remove your Xbox from the program using the Manage devices section. Just remove your Xbox and the Insider program will stop.
How to increase your chances of getting an Xbox Series X when supplies are replenished
It can be a bit chaotic, constantly refreshing the screen and hoping you see a checkout link. And as many can attest, it is quite painful to enter your payment information to find that the purchase cannot be completed as all consoles are already gone. Here are some of our tips:
- Open multiple browsers: Do you have a laptop? A phone? Maybe a tablet? Use them all to try to make the purchase. Set yourself up in advance with multiple browsers open to the shopping site of your choice and be ready to buy from all stores.
- Do not give upMany of these retailers have started releasing the consoles over the course of 30 minutes, to prevent bots from buying them all and reselling them at a price increase. If you see that everything is sold out after the first 5 minutes, keep freshening up, because your chance is probably not over yet.
- Make sure you have confirmation e-mail: There are many reports that a purchase “hangs” and although the website said the sale was complete, there was no confirmation email and then no Xbox. Keep an eye out and make sure you really have an Xbox Series X on your way before you celebrate.
How to Avoid Xbox Series X Stock Scams
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people eager to take advantage of anyone trying to get an Xbox Series X. Here’s how to avoid the well-known scams:
- Stay away from Twitter links: If you see something on Twitter about Xbox Series X stock somewhere, it’s best to go straight to the store instead of clicking a link. In many cases, those Twitter links turned out to be scams.
- Buy only at the retail priceIf someone offers you an Xbox Series X for more or less than $ 500 or an Xbox Series S for more or less than $ 300, you should probably stay away. There are many of these sites that offer “deals” or “bundles” that are often not really worth it.
Xbox Series X: Check Stock Replenishment
This is Target’s product page for the Xbox Series X.
If you want the latest Xbox Series X news, there’s probably nowhere better than Microsoft’s very own Xbox Series X homepage. Here you will find the latest specifications, announced game titles, details about the new controller and more.
Best Buy was the last retailer to recoil in the pre-order days, but is now ready for your Xbox Series X purchase if stock permits.
Amazon sells both the Xbox Series X and the cheaper Series S from this product page.
GameStop has offered a “very limited number of Xbox Series X and S console bundles for sale” in the past, but is currently sold out.
Walmart does a good job of listing availability windows for PS5 and Xbox on its Twitter feed. You may also want to visit the store’s Xbox landing page for both new consoles.
Here you can buy the Xbox Series X from Newegg if the retailer has stock.
To be clear, we highly recommend that you wait for stock to appear at regular retailers so that you can purchase an Xbox Series X at its regular retail price. But if you’ve decided that you just can’t wait another moment, the average price of the Xbox Series X on eBay is about $700.
Are you desperate now? Are you willing to pay a premium of hundreds of dollars over the list price? Listen, we wouldn’t do this and we don’t recommend that you do it. But if you want to go down that road, StockX is a reputable eBay-style site that lets you buy and sell new Xbox and PS5 models — as long as you’re willing to pay over $600.
This story is regularly updated with the latest Xbox Series X inventory news.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and more. Follow the Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter for the latest deals and updates. Find more great purchases on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our.