Theand consoles continue to fly off digital shelves, although not as fast as the . Target had an early restock of the Xbox Series on Thursday that still had some availability on Saturday. This followed a GameStop addition packed with expensive bundles that have since sold out.
Best Buy replenished its inventory on Monday, giving many people a chance to get their hands on Microsoft̵
We know that avoiding a steep price hike or being left with an expensive bundle of accessories you might not want is just as important as finding an Xbox for sale. Below we’ve shared a few tips to help you find the Xbox game console without the extra cost.
Why is the Xbox Series X so hard to find?
Essentially, Microsoft can’t get the material it needs to make enough Xbox consoles to meet demand. like with theand most PC video cards, straight away. has slowed production for many chip makers for a while, and industry watchers don’t currently expect the issue to be fully resolved before the end of the year.
As a result, Microsoft makes as many consoles as possible and distributes them among its retail partners. Each retail partner will release its available consoles in the manner it sees fit. Usually this means announcing in advance when you can buy the console online and then releasing it for everyone to buy.
In recent weeks, these are the retailers with Xbox Series X inventory:
- Target, May 27: The console flew off physical shelves as the retailer began selling Xbox series consoles from stores for the first time since the start of the pandemic.
- GameStop, May 26: The video game retailer had multiple bundles available with games, controllers and gift cards.
- Best Buy, May 24: A major restock came and went.
- Walmart, May 20: There was a small supply, sold out quickly, but Walmart is saving some consoles for the Xbox All Access program.
- Microsoft, May 17: This Xbox Series X restock took place through the new Console Purchase Pilot program, which you could only participate in if you were part of the Xbox Insiders program. More details about this below.
Expect more updates here as they happen.
What is the Console Purchase Pilot Program?
Microsoft has made it possible for people who participate in the Xbox Insiders program to form a virtual queue that guarantees that you will be offered a legitimate Xbox console at the regular price as soon as one is available through Microsoft. The only way to participate in this very limited program is to already own an Xbox, so you can join the Xbox Insiders Program and be invited to sign up for this Console Purchase Pilot.
Registration for the pilot is currently closed, but Microsoft says it will reopen registration soon. While you wait, it’s probably a good idea to join Xbox Insiders.
How do I join the Xbox Insider Program?
Microsoft’s internal program of giving fans early access to stuff it’s testing offers a lot of fun stuff to poke around even without this early access program for buying a new Xbox. To participate in this program you must be logged in with your own account on an Xbox.
1. Open the Xbox store.
2. Search Insider.
3. Select the Xbox Insider Bundle app.
4. Select Join when you open the app.
Nothing you do within the Xbox Insider program is permanent. If you decide you don’t want to be notified when test features are available, you can remove yourself from the Xbox Insider Program at any time. On the Settings page in the Insider Hub app on your Xbox, you can remove your Xbox from the program using the Manage devices section. Just remove your Xbox and the Insider program will stop.
How to increase your chances of getting an Xbox Series X when a restock occurs
It can be a bit chaotic, constantly refreshing the screen and hoping you see a checkout link. And as many can attest, it is quite painful to enter your payment details to see that the purchase cannot be completed because everything is already gone. Here are some of our tips:
- Open multiple browsers: Do you have a laptop? A phone? Maybe a tablet? Use them all to try to make the purchase. Set yourself up in advance with multiple browsers open to the shopping site of your choice and be ready to buy from all of them.
- Do not give up: Many of these retailers have started releasing the consoles over the course of 30 minutes, to prevent bots from buying them all and reselling them at a price increase. If you see that everything is sold out after the first 5 minutes, keep refreshing because your chances are probably not gone yet.
- Make sure you have a confirmation e-mail: There have been many reports of a purchase “stalling” and even though the website said the sale was complete, no confirmation email was received and no Xbox after that. Keep an eye out and make sure you actually have an Xbox Series X coming your way before you celebrate.
How do you avoid Xbox Series X replenishment scams?
Unfortunately, there are a lot of people eager to take advantage of anyone trying to get their hands on an Xbox Series X. Here’s how to avoid the well-known scams:
- Stay away from Twitter links: If you see something on Twitter about an Xbox Series X add-on somewhere, it’s best to head straight to the store rather than clicking a link. In many cases, those Twitter links turned out to be scams.
- Buy only at the retail price: If someone offers you an Xbox Series X for more or less than $500 or an Xbox Series S for more or less than $300, you should probably stay away. There are many of these sites that offer “deals” or “bundles” that are often not really worth it.
Xbox Series X: Check Stock Inventory
Best Buy was the last retailer to pull out of the preorder days, but is now ready for your Xbox Series X purchase if supplies allow.
Amazon sells both the Xbox Series X and the cheaper Series S from this product page.
This is Target’s product page for the Xbox Series X.
GameStop has touted a “very limited number of Xbox Series X and S console bundles for purchase” in the past, but is currently sold out.
If you’re looking for the latest Xbox Series X news, there’s probably no better place than Microsoft’s very own Xbox Series X homepage. Here you’ll find the latest specs, upcoming game titles, details about the new controller and more.
Walmart does a good job posting availability windows for PS5 and Xbox on its Twitter feed. You may also want to visit the seller’s Xbox landing page for both new consoles.
This is where you can buy the Xbox Series X from Newegg if the retailer has stock.
To be clear, we highly recommend waiting for stock to appear at mainstream retailers so you can purchase an Xbox Series X at its regular retail price. But if you’ve decided you just can’t wait another moment, the average Xbox Series X price on eBay is about $700.
Are you desperate now? Are you willing to pay hundreds of dollars more than the list price? Look, we wouldn’t do this and we don’t recommend you do it. But if you want to go down that path, StockX is a reputable eBay-style site that lets you buy and sell new Xbox and PS5 models — as long as you’re willing to pay over $600.
This story is regularly updated with the latest Xbox Series X inventory news.
CNET’s Cheapskate scours the web for great deals on tech products and more. For the latest offers and updates, follow Cheapskate on Facebook and Twitter. Find more great purchases on the CNET Deals page and check out our CNET Coupons page for the latest promo codes from Best Buy, Walmart, Amazon and more. Questions about the Cheapskate blog? Find the answers on our.