If you ever had a Yahoo account between 2012 and 2016, you can now participate in a class action settlement to compensate you for losses. For several years, hackers were able to access Yahoo user accounts and steal private emails, calendars, and contacts in at least three separate attacks.
The breaches ranged from two in 201
This month, Yahoo announced that if you had an account between January 1, 2012, and December 31, 2016, and you are a US or Israeli citizen, you are part of the Settlement Class and can file a claim for part of the Settlement Fund of $ 117,500,000.
Do you want to know if you are part of the settlement?
Yahoo said that you had a Yahoo account between January 1, 2012 and December 31, 2016, or were notified about the data breaches in 2016 or 2017 and are living in the US or Israel, you are a member of the settlement. You can contact the settlement manager if you want to confirm that you can participate in the settlement.
An eligible Yahoo account includes those with Yahoo Fantasy Sports, Yahoo Finance, Tumblr, and Flickr.
How much money can you expect to get?
The settlement offers a number of benefits to compensate those whose data has been compromised in a hack. You can submit claims for money and credit monitoring:
- At least two years of credit monitoring services offered by AllClearID. The service includes identity theft monitoring, up to $ 1 million in theft insurance and identity recovery assistant.
- A cash payment if you already have credit monitoring and protection services. Yahoo said the payment can range from less than $ 100 to a maximum of $ 358.80, depending on the funds available after other payouts.
- Cash refund up to $ 25,000 to cover cash costs to address fraud and identity theft as a result of an infringement. You can also file a claim for damages up to 15 hours of your time spent repairing an infringement.
- A refund of up to 25 percent of the amount you paid for a premium Yahoo account.
- A refund of up to 25 percent of the amount you paid for a Yahoo Small Business User email service, with a limit of $ 500 per year.
How to submit a claim?
You can submit claims as a basic account holder, a paid user, and a small business user. Israeli citizens must submit a separate claim form. The settlement website has separate forms for each claim type.
When is the deadline for submitting a claim?
You must submit all claim forms – online or by post – as of July 20, 2020.
The settlement is awaiting final court approval before April 2, 2020. We will update this story as we get more information. In the meantime, here is a running list with the recent major data breaches and more about what you should do if you are part of a data breach.