The long-sought holy grail for those who use a laptop and phone is a seamless transfer between the two for anyone who doesn't want to stop doing what they do on one screen to do something else on the smaller display. Now Microsoft is helping to close the gap by allowing you to make calls from your PC. You can also send calls directly to voicemail.
The new feature, simply called Calling, is part of a Windows 1
Microsoft is the newest brand that it makes it easier to use your phone from your computer. Apple has Continuity, which allows you to transfer documents, photos & phone calls and phone calls between your Apple devices. With Samsung you can mirror content between its mobile devices and MacOS and Windows. Even Google lets you use the Messages app in a browser on Macs and PCs.
If you are part of the Windows Insider program, follow these steps.
How to set up the Your Phone app and connect your phone and your PC
To connect Windows 10 to your Android phone, start with the Your Phone app of Windows 10.
1. In the Windows 10 preview, open the Your phone app, right-click on Android, and then tap Continue.
2. Enter your mobile phone number and then tap Send to send Microsoft a link that you will use to connect your Android phone to your PC.
3. On your Android device, open the text message and tap the message link that takes you to the app page in Google Play.
4. After it is installed, tap Install and then Open (or search for your Phone Companion app on your Android desktop and tap to open).
5. Enter your Microsoft account information in the app and tap Sign up.
6. Tap Continue in the next window and then tap Allow to allow the app to access your contacts, manage phone calls, open files on the phone, and send text messages. want to send and view.
7. Then tap Continue and then Allow if you want the app to run in the background.
8. Finally, tap Allow to allow your Android device to connect to your PC, then tap Continue and then tap Done.
9. About in Windows 10, in the phone call settings, you may also need to authorize the Your Phone app to make calls.
Browse your Android photos & messages on your Windows 10 PC
With your phone app you can view your photos & photos and send and send messages from your phone.
1. In Windows 10, open the Your Phone app.
2 . In the left pane, tap Photos & Messages, Messages, or Notifications to manage those items from your phone. If you don't see anything, tap Refresh to download photos and messages.
How to make and receive Android phone calls on Windows
With everything set up, you can now start handling your Android phone tasks on your PC using your phone.
1. Tap Call on your telephone in the left pane.
2. To make a call, search for contacts or use the dialer.
3. When a call comes in, a dialog box appears in which you can accept or reject a call or send a message instead of answering.
Microsoft said it is gradually implementing the new Calling section of your phone, so it may be available a while. For a different look at Microsoft embracing Android phones, view the upcoming.
Originally published last week.
CNET may receive a commission from retail offers.